Thread: Live-In Assistant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Live-In Assistant

My brother is living out in January, so I've been working on locating someone interested in moving into my house to assist me. As a quadriplegic, my biggest concern is getting up in the morning and going to bed at night. So, all in all, the work is not significant at all and doesn't require any specialized training really. But I just cannot find anyone interested.

I tried a couple of the online classifieds as well as posting fliers at a couple of local colleges without any luck. What other type of resources could I try?

Living in the Atlanta suburbs near to hospitals and three colleges, I would've thought there would be a lot of interest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-- Scott

Edit: speech recognition is worse than spellcheckers, occasionally =)
    Last edited by Malamber; 12-07-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    Malamber

Do you really have to have live-in help? In my experience, if your care needs are really only part-time, it is much easier to recruit part-time people than it is live in. So many people have families and they don't want to move out of their family home.

You might do better recruiting for 2-3 different part-time people, esp. from the student pool or nurses aides who already have a job but are looking for some additional income. That has been our recent experience. Have you used Craig's List for your ads?

(KLD)

I've noticed that, definitely. I only issue with that is I would like to see someone who lives very close by in the event that I require something unexpected. But I'm looking for a live-in specifically because a great deal of the compensation is provided in the form of room, board, utilities, etc. the cash portion is somewhat limited unless they can handle bathing and bowel management, which in that case, I can redistribute that portion of my budget to them. For that, I have been using an outside agency.
    Malamber

Quote Originally Posted by Malamber View Post
    I've noticed that, definitely. I only issue with that is I would like to see someone who lives very close by in the event that I require something unexpected. But I'm looking for a live-in specifically because a great deal of the compensation is provided in the form of room, board, utilities, etc. the cash portion is somewhat limited unless they can handle bathing and bowel management, which in that case, I can redistribute that portion of my budget to them. For that, I have been using an outside agency.
    Sorry you got hurt. Are you by chance a Veteran? I read your profile & you said that your a security software developer? If your employed I'd go to Voc Rehab & ask them for help. If your signed up with them there is what is called post services. In other words services provided to you because you already have a job. Good luck in your search.

Talk to the agency you're already using. They can likely get someone in to help get you up and down as needed. If only for a temporary basis, it would give you more time to look.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Sup Mal,
    Try this http://www.thecaringspace.com/

I was keeping it in case my relationship changed lol u never know.
    Anyway I live 30mins west of ATL.
    Hit me up if u can.

Good luck.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

being nosey. i live so atl 1 hr. i have 2 part time girls which work 3 hrs a night 7 day
    they switch every other night no bowel progam due to colonosty. ican do that myself
    i pay them 10.00 but tonite i am telling them 2 hrs as i am broke. i get medicare
    i live bymyself . was wondering how you get angency to come in.
    my son has been paying the rest of my bills but..... he can/t really help much now

it would sure help if i could get medicare to pay

You could try http://www.care.com/; sounds great, but I had no success. Craigslist worked... after many months.
    Other options I didn't try: http://visitingangels.com/officestat...=GA&sn=Georgia,
    http://www.barefootstudent.com/index/listings/category3597.htm,
    http://www.seniorhelpers.com/location/1302,
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates