Thread: Here in support of a dear friend

Here in support of a dear friend

A very dear friend of mines was shot early October resulting in a T-11 complete injury. Since that time I have spend numerous hours trying to understand what that means and how I can help him.

I am grateful that I found this site, it has been very informative. The irony of this all is while reading and researching I have also helped myself.

My mom passed away when I was 11 years from a broken neck in a car wreck. This was 1972 and I am originally from a small island in the carribbean. Back then we were always told that mom died from a broken neck. I had always been under the impression had she survived she would have had a cask placed on her neck like when you broke your arm or something and then she would be fine.

My God I had no idea. My friends injury has been such an eye opener for me. I have cried for him and boy did I cry for my Mom.

At any rate, I am generally a strong person that don't give up easily and I am eternal optimist, but this has really pushed my limits.

I was finally able to visit my friend in rehab, and he is doing really well and is in great spirits and that really helped the fear and despair I was feeling. His whole attitude helped me to shift my thinking to doing everything I can to help him have the best possible life giving the circumstances.

This forum has been a great source of strength and inspiration and I admire all you.

Welcome to care cure. I am also greatful you found this site, but sad that it was necessary. There are wonderful people here with vast knowledge that I'm sure they would share. I have a higher level of injury, but I'm sure someone will pop up soon to answer or point you any information your looking for. It's wonderful your friend is in good spirits, and he is fortunate to have a friend like yourself.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Welcome to CC, and I am glad you are finding this site helpful. Your friend will have good days and bad days, but with that level of injury should be able to regain independence after a lot of work in rehab. I am sorry about your mom. That must have been terribly difficult.

Welcome to CareCure. Sorry about your friend, and your mom, how devastating. I hope your friend gets good rehab, and don't count out recovery, to any extent. I hope the bullet didn't completely sever the spinal cord.

Stick around, have your friend visit us when he's up to it. Give him our best. You're a good bud to stick with him, lots don't.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthisbaby View Post
    Welcome to care cure. I am also greatful you found this site, but sad that it was necessary. There are wonderful people here with vast knowledge that I'm sure they would share. I have a higher level of injury, but I'm sure someone will pop up soon to answer or point you any information your looking for. It's wonderful your friend is in good spirits, and he is fortunate to have a friend like yourself.
    Thanks for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Welcome to CC, and I am glad you are finding this site helpful. Your friend will have good days and bad days, but with that level of injury should be able to regain independence after a lot of work in rehab. I am sorry about your mom. That must have been terribly difficult.
    Yes, he realizes that he would have good and bad days and I have told him to allow himself the bad days.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Welcome to CareCure. Sorry about your friend, and your mom, how devastating. I hope your friend gets good rehab, and don't count out recovery, to any extent. I hope the bullet didn't completely sever the spinal cord.

Stick around, have your friend visit us when he's up to it. Give him our best. You're a good bud to stick with him, lots don't.
    He rehab at Jackson Memorial / Miami. I know he is still wearing his brace. I know that he completed the driving certification course. I know he can transfer from bed to chair and vice versa with minimal assistance. He is fighting for his independence as much as possible.
    thanks again to all of you.