Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Serious???

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I have severe DDD, especially in my thoracic region. My original SCI was caused by a large area of calcification that broke and damaged my spinal cord at T8-9 due to a herniated disc. The MRI was ordered for routine follow-up and to search for changes since my bowel and bladder problems and ability to walk seems to be getting worse. My doctors monitor the degeneration. Doesn't it seem weird that this atrophy and edema is above the level of the original injury? BTW, this is a new finding. It was not present on previous MRI's
    Danine,
    I was misdiagnosed for a year and a half before finding out i had an avm of the spinal cord which is causing the same things you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamil45 View Post
    danine,
    i was misdiagnosed for a year and a half before finding out i had an avm of the spinal cord which is causing the same things you are experiencing.
    avm???
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Just today, I got results of an MRI that was done about six weeks ago. Along with six herniated discs in my thoracic spine alone (which I already knew about) the report said I have myelomalacia and spinal cord edema at T6-7...this is a new finding that has not been found on previous MRI's.

My physiatrist (who ordered the MRI) didn't seem particularly concerned about it and simply scheduled a six-month follow-up appointment. My neurologist (who I also saw today for a routine follow-up appointment) seemed very concerned.

I feel lost in a massive medical system that never has the patient's best interests in mind.....Can someone tell me if this finding is serious, and (if so) what should be done?

Thanks.
    Danine,

I am so sorry to hear about this problem. Degenerative Disk Disease (DDD) is a terrible problem and it is all about making less bad choices. Surgery is not a good answer for severe DDD because it simply stiffens the spine and concentrate all the movements on the remaining segments, causing more wear and tear. After 2-3 operations, may patients get what is called a failed back syndrome with severe pain, spinal cord and root damage, and progressive neurological loss.

The words myelomalacia and even "edema" are simply words that are used to indicate that the signal on the MRI image is brighter than normal. Usually, magnetic resonance is based on hydrogen signal and, if you remember your chemistry, water is H2O. When there is increased water in the spinal cord, the signal intensity increases. Most damage to the spinal cord results in increased signal.

Myelomalacia means "bad white matter". White matter is usually full of fat (myelin is mostly lipid) and has lower water content than the other parts of the spinal cord. If the loss of tissue is severe, myelomalacia may be associated atrophy (shrinkage). So myelomalacia may result for damage to white matter. So, basically, what the magnetic resonance images are telling you is that your spinal cord is becoming more damaged by your degenerative disc disease.

The above sound like a lot of bad news. I believe that there may soon be better news where artificial discs and stem cells can be used to rebuild damaged discs instead of removin the discs and fusing the spine. As I point out above, the problem with surgery is that it stiffen the spine and aggravates the problem. However, there should be better surgery options that allow surgeon to repair and rebuild discs rather than fusing.

Wise.

Thank you, Wise. I am truly frustrated with my body...and probably with the universe in general right now. Is there anything I can do to help myself...other than lose excess weight?

Also, I'm assuming that calcium deposits would be obvious on MRI's, right? I'm going to attach a CT scan that I had prior to my laminectomy for the damage done by a calcium deposit at t8-9. As I look at it, it almost looks like there's some bony material at t6-7 too??? What do you think?
    Last edited by Danine; 12-09-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Deleted CT Image

Thank you, Wise. I am truly frustrated with my body...and probably with the universe in general right now. Is there anything I can do to help myself...other than lose excess weight?

Also, I'm assuming that calcium deposits would be obvious on MRI's, right? I'm going to attach a CT scan that I had prior to my laminectomy for the damage done by a calcium deposit at t8-9. As I look at it, it almost looks like there's some bony material at t6-7 too??? What do you think?
    Danine, MRI's are not good for detecting calcium deposits. This is what CT scans (being x-ray) are best at doing. Losing weight is important. If I were you, I would go swimming. This produces the least stress on your spine and uses up the most calories. Wise.

avm???
    Arterial-veinous malformation. Try webMD.com to look it up. For some reason I'm having web problems.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Arterial-veinous malformation. Try webMD.com to look it up. For some reason I'm having web problems.

Thanks.

Thanks.
    It is spelled arteriovenous malformation

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sue, I think you mean "The Incredible Mr. Limpet".

T2 above does not refer to the spinal cord level, but to a particular technique for doing an MRI (T2 weighted). It can be done for both brain and spinal cord and shows inflammatory changes often seen in MS.

(KLD)
    I loved that movie!
    1FineSpineRN

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    It is spelled arteriovenous malformation

^^This is why I never became a doctor. I can't spell for beans. Thanks Wise. This is also why my physiatrist writes down anything he knows I'll go home and study up on for me.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.