Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Serious???

Question Is This Serious???

Just today, I got results of an MRI that was done about six weeks ago. Along with six herniated discs in my thoracic spine alone (which I already knew about) the report said I have myelomalacia and spinal cord edema at T6-7...this is a new finding that has not been found on previous MRI's.

My physiatrist (who ordered the MRI) didn't seem particularly concerned about it and simply scheduled a six-month follow-up appointment. My neurologist (who I also saw today for a routine follow-up appointment) seemed very concerned.

I feel lost in a massive medical system that never has the patient's best interests in mind.....Can someone tell me if this finding is serious, and (if so) what should be done?

Thanks.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    Just today, I got results of an MRI that was done about six weeks ago. Along with six herniated discs in my thoracic spine alone (which I already knew about) the report said I have myelomalacia and spinal cord edema at T6-7...this is a new finding that has not been found on previous MRI's.

My physiatrist (who ordered the MRI) didn't seem particularly concerned about it and simply scheduled a six-month follow-up appointment. My neurologist (who I also saw today for a routine follow-up appointment) seemed very concerned.

I feel lost in a massive medical system that never has the patient's best interests in mind.....Can someone tell me if this finding is serious, and (if so) what should be done?

Thanks.
    myelomalacia - I can't help you very much. Myelomalacia means a change in the signals from the spinal cord, I have got that too and nobody has care for it. Mine is saying the T2 signals are going slowly in the MRI and it is nothing to do with it.

Edema is swelling.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Myelomalacia is shrinkage of the cord (the cord appears atrophied), and is very common at and just below the actual spinal cord injury. You would need previous MRIs to compare to this to see if this is new or progressing. Just because it was not mentioned in the report does not mean it was not there. Why was the MRI ordered?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Myelomalacia is shrinkage of the cord (the cord appears atrophied), and is very common at and just below the actual spinal cord injury. You would need previous MRIs to compare to this to see if this is new or progressing. Just because it was not mentioned in the report does not mean it was not there. Why was the MRI ordered?

(KLD)
    I have severe DDD, especially in my thoracic region. My original SCI was caused by a large area of calcification that broke and damaged my spinal cord at T8-9 due to a herniated disc. The MRI was ordered for routine follow-up and to search for changes since my bowel and bladder problems and ability to walk seems to be getting worse. My doctors monitor the degeneration. Doesn't it seem weird that this atrophy and edema is above the level of the original injury? BTW, this is a new finding. It was not present on previous MRI's

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    myelomalacia - I can't help you very much. Myelomalacia means a change in the signals from the spinal cord, I have got that too and nobody has care for it. Mine is saying the T2 signals are going slowly in the MRI and it is nothing to do with it.

Edema is swelling.
    Thanks for responding WFE. That's interesting that they found problems at T2 which is much higher than your original injury. My problem is also a couple of levels higher than my original injury.

I think the reference to T2 signaling may be about how the MRI read something not about the level involved. I'll ask Dr Young to take a look at this thread.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I think the reference to T2 signaling may be about how the MRI read something not about the level involved. I'll ask Dr Young to take a look at this thread.
    Thanks Sue. I'm about to just give up on my spine...constant pain and some new problem everytime I turn around...so frustrating.

Too bad they can't just remove my spine, install gill slits, and let me go swim with the dolphins for the rest of my life...yes, I'm losing my mind...

Danine, that comment reminds of an old Don Knotts comedy where he turns into a fish. He's commissioned by the Navy as a secret weapon because he can make huge honking noises. I've probably seen it 10 times but the escapes me. Yes, gills would be a nice change for awhile here too.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, I think you mean "The Incredible Mr. Limpet".

T2 above does not refer to the spinal cord level, but to a particular technique for doing an MRI (T2 weighted). It can be done for both brain and spinal cord and shows inflammatory changes often seen in MS.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    T2 above does not refer to the spinal cord level, but to a particular technique for doing an MRI (T2 weighted). It can be done for both brain and spinal cord and shows inflammatory changes often seen in MS.

(KLD)
    OK, now I'm really confused...the T2 reference was from WFE's MRI. My current problem is at T6-7, which is two levels higher than my original injury...any more insight on this for me??? There was no mention of any MS related "lesions."

Oh, BTW, could this be the reason that I feel like somebody's stabbing me in the back and stomach with an ice pick? Does this level correspond to the area of the abdomen that's about 2-3 inches below the tip of the sternum?