Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best manual wheelchair for quad?

Best manual wheelchair for quad?

Getting a new manual wheelchair. Do you guys have any recommendations? I am a c4/5 quad and will primarily use for backup, but would also like to use more often at home to try to strengthen shoulders.

I was thinking titanium rigid frame would be best, what do you think? Also, what good seating experiences have you had for manuals. I had a j2 deep on my old chair but its very heavy.

Unhappy

NO SUGGESTIONS? gee thanks? C'mon guys.

Not sure of ideal chair but play it safe with cushion and don't make decision based on weight. If you have had good luck re no bedsores, stick with what works. Pushrims would seem vitally important, although I'm a para I believe Pushblack pushrims may help you with better grip for everyday and bad weather conditions.

Rethinking my response a bit about cushion. If you can be seen by a PT with specialty in seating and get pressure mapped this would be ideal. The PT could try (pressure map) you on several cushions to recommend the one on which you pressure map the best. This should optimize your sitting tolerance and comfort.

I'm using a quickie gt, rigid aluminum frame, with knobby rims for pushing. Working better than expected, so far, and I have noodle-arms. I recommend going with an aluminum frame first until you get a feel for what you need/like, so you can make adjustments without spending a fortune.

As for a cushion, nothing beats the Roho imho.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Get the quickie titanium if your insurance is paying. Its slightly lighter and very adjustable to fit your seating needs.

If you are buying, the quickie gt is the same chair, but 3lbs heavier.

May want to think about getting emotions too. They will give power assist but will still make you work. Much more practical if you are serious about using a manual chair. Great investment (i'm c6 and big fan).

There is no best, it's what's best for YOU! Demo, Demo & Demo.

Make sure you get sized properly for the chair and I would recommend something that's very adjustable. You never know how you're going to like it in the long run. Forget about going titanium on your first chair, at your level you never know if you're going to be able to use it full-time although I would still recommend demoing both aluminum and titanium. About your seat cushion, since the position you're going to begin in a manual chair is different than the position you're in in the power chair, get pressure mapped as soon as you get it so you get the proper cushion for your chair. And here is the biggest thing, if you're not strong enough to do your own weight shiftsby either hooking her arm over a push bar and meaning from side to side or figuring out a way to lean forward and get yourself back up,, forget about the whole idea because all it will do is lead to a pressure sore no matter what cushion you put on it.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thumbs up I've been in a wc for 32 years and the best chair is my current one

Ti Lite TR Rigid Titanium. Weighs 15 pounds. It's better than any quickie or Terminator hands down. I paid cash and their custom built! It cost me $3500. I'm a c7-c8 inc. Checkout spokeaid.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flyarmy64 View Post
    Getting a new manual wheelchair. Do you guys have any recommendations? I am a c4/5 quad and will primarily use for backup, but would also like to use more often at home to try to strengthen shoulders.

I was thinking titanium rigid frame would be best, what do you think? Also, what good seating experiences have you had for manuals. I had a j2 deep on my old chair but its very heavy.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Make sure it's adjustable and you've got someone who can help you dial it in. Weight, balance and fit are going to be crucial for you to maximize the strength of your push. Tilite ZRA is a great option, IMO.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.