Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cruise gurus: celebrity vs. holland america

welp, I put a deposit down on a Celebrity cruise this afternoon... reserved a pimp room too.

good for you! now, make spa reservations (the massages are good! ppl like the hot rock one, but i like the shoulder/neck/head one) and make your excursion reservations--they fill up and a great deal are not accessible (some solely due to ground transportation). or, for shore excursions, sometimes it's best to find your own once you get off the ship (if you can transfer to taxi) or if just wanna hang around, no worries there. but if planning on booking thru celeb, do it before you board. be sure to ask if any ports are tendered (ship doesn't dock, ppl take tender boats to shore=potential to big prob to wheelchair users. they like to avoid this question).

see if celeb offers special dining. holland has the pinnacle grille which is an excellent alternative to the main dining and is a special, intimate experience which costs $20/person for a dinner that would cost 3 times that at a very good restaurant (we had steaks, wine, etc. and my travel agent even paid the 20/person). RC didn't have it (well, the 2 ships i was on didn't), but perhaps their other line does. in any case, reservations on holland for this are gone soon after you board. a pic.

you're gonna have a great time. hey, looks like celeb might have the special dining. if they do, it's definitely worth it for one night (if it's like holland's), again, this is just a one night thing for most ppl and it books up fast: http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyc...ecialty_dining

oh, and did you check their cancellation policy? be sure to. it can be a killer if something comes up because within something like 60 days you still pay unless you get the cancellation ins. which is not cheap. i've never gotten it. and no, you can't give your tix to anybody else. hope they told you all this. no use worrying bout it, i never did, but good to know what their policy is. usually a graduated scale in refund up to a point.

pinnacle grille, zuiderdam:

Last edited by cass; 12-06-2008 at 01:20 AM.

We did a five nighter on the Celebrity Constellation the April before last, our cabin was 7141, as you can see the from the deck plan it's twice the size of the norm for that deck and more than adiquate...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan...ilDate=1081212

Everything went very smoothly, the crew were very helpful and all in all a good time was had by all.

However and this is just a personal opinion, I don't think I would like to spend more than ten days on a cruise ship.

I have been on 3 Carnival cruises... I think all of the cruise lines at this point are pretty good about accessibility on board the ship. What I would worry more about is the ports... as most of them are not accessible... having been to the Caribbean 2 out of the 3 cruises. So, I would contact the cruiselines directly and see about the accessibility of the ports, do they have people willing to get you on and off the boat if necessary, especially if you have to tender. Also, I would try going through a travel agent that specializes in travelers with disabilities. That is what I am doing for my honeymoon and they are a wealth of information. Just go through your search engine and their are a few agencies out there that can help you.

Hey Scott,
    Have a fantastic cruise and be prepared for a new vacation addiction.
    If you want to learn more about cruising before you go check out this forum: www.cruisecritic.com. It is to cruising what CureCare is to SCI - they have a specific disability cruising forum too.
    I've been on three different Celebrity ships and loved every minute. I've been on Royal caribbean as well. Celebrity is the next step up in service (which is what I'm looking for in a cruise) among the two, but has less in the way of ice rinks, rock climbing and waves to surf (still loads of stuff to keep you occupied though ). If I had kids I'd be inclined to take Royal for the kids programming. I'm into pampering, so it's Celebrity for me.
    I love that your waiter knows your name and has your drink waiting for you when you arrive for dinner on day two. I also like the waiter assistance (carrying trays) at the buffet that is offered on Celebrity, but not on Royal. Be prepared to gain at least 5 pounds, because cruising is all about the food.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    good for you! now, make spa reservations (the massages are good! ppl like the hot rock one, but i like the shoulder/neck/head one) and make your excursion reservations--they fill up and a great deal are not accessible (some solely due to ground transportation). or, for shore excursions, sometimes it's best to find your own once you get off the ship (if you can transfer to taxi) or if just wanna hang around, no worries there. but if planning on booking thru celeb, do it before you board. be sure to ask if any ports are tendered (ship doesn't dock, ppl take tender boats to shore=potential to big prob to wheelchair users. they like to avoid this question).

see if celeb offers special dining. holland has the pinnacle grille which is an excellent alternative to the main dining and is a special, intimate experience which costs $20/person for a dinner that would cost 3 times that at a very good restaurant (we had steaks, wine, etc. and my travel agent even paid the 20/person). RC didn't have it (well, the 2 ships i was on didn't), but perhaps their other line does. in any case, reservations on holland for this are gone soon after you board. a pic.

you're gonna have a great time. hey, looks like celeb might have the special dining. if they do, it's definitely worth it for one night (if it's like holland's), again, this is just a one night thing for most ppl and it books up fast: http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyc...ecialty_dining

oh, and did you check their cancellation policy? be sure to. it can be a killer if something comes up because within something like 60 days you still pay unless you get the cancellation ins. which is not cheap. i've never gotten it. and no, you can't give your tix to anybody else. hope they told you all this. no use worrying bout it, i never did, but good to know what their policy is. usually a graduated scale in refund up to a point.

pinnacle grille, zuiderdam:

I SERVED YOU AND PROTECT.LOL .
    some worked some had fun.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I also like the waiter assistance (carrying trays) at the buffet that is offered on Celebrity, but not on Royal. Be prepared to gain at least 5 pounds, because cruising is all about the food.[/quote]
    Have you ever lift off having a tray 70 lbs while a storm .?I did it ..great balance before injury.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    welp, I put a deposit down on a Celebrity cruise this afternoon... reserved a pimp room too.
    I hope that means the aft on deck 7 or 8. The balcony is like 20 X 20 and you can have your dinner served course by course out there because it's a Concierge cabin. We didn't but we loved it for breakfast. We also loved the views from it going through the Panama Canal. Constellation is the only M-Class ship with lifts to a pool, a hot tub and the heated solarium pool. Oceanliners is the upscale restaurant and a must do. If you take one of the balcony cabins next to the glass elevators check the bathroom as soon as you get there. They have a cover below the sink to hide the pipe. Just ask the room stewart to have it removed. It's just 4 wing nuts. Then you can roll all the way under. Your bride will need to bring a make up mirror though. Stupid oversight.

Theo, I've never been asked for a doc's statement but our travel agent is a friend so can personally attest to my disability. Oh, we'll be on her again, trip 4, April 17 for the Transatlantic. We've been on the Norwegian Sun and the Carnival Legend twice. Haven't tried Holland America yet. Oh, and Azamara Journey once.

Which islands are you hitting? And April should bring a slightly younger crowd but not spring breakers....although when is Easter this year? Normally the longer the cruise the older the crowd. We like 11 to 14 days and have seen 30s to 90s. Shorter cruises like 7 days are people still stuck with one week of vacation time so more 20s to 50s.

And you should check out any photography classes and the photoshop ones. You may find a way to free future cruises by teaching them.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Before I was injured I worked on the M/V Constellation as a musician. I can say that this ship would not be the most wheelchair friendly. The ship is older and full of heavy fire doors, narrow hallways, etc...
    I've been to a lot of the same ports and I remember Cartagena, Colon and Puerto Limon having stairs on the gangway as opposed to the ramp. The gangway staff will of course gladly pick you up, in your chair and cary down however.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that these port cities will not be wheelchair friendly. Some excursions will be accessible, but you'll want to check in advance. Other than excursions, traveling off the ship on your own is hit or miss on where you'll be able to go. Colon, for instance has very few sidewalks, no curb cut outs, and taxi drivers from hell.
    Just the info that I have on those ports and the Constellation.

-mike

Good choice!!! I just booked my honeymoonwith celebrity on the new solstice class ship equinox in dec 09, they have been very helpful and their website is full of ito about how they accomadate wc bound peeps, you can request a raised toilet seat, shower stool etc plus I booked an aquaclass veranda check out all the extra benefits of that very nice !!!! Can't wait to go!!