Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cruise gurus: celebrity vs. holland america

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    First of all, do you know if you can still get a wheelchair accessible cabin with that short of a notice? Many sell out 12 or more months in advance.
    No, but I can certainly try.

HAL is an older crowd, a little more sedate, but the food is better. Their wheelchair accessible bathrooms are a little on the small side on some of their ships, and don't get dupped into getting their "modified" cabins which are NOT fully accessible but designed for slow walkers and scooter users who can still walk. Their tender lifts are a great way to get ashore, but you must use only a manual chair of less than 18" width for this...no power chairs, no big chairs, and you will have to fight to get off at a reasonable hour as they try to make you go last. On the other hand, HAL does not use service carts for the room stewards so you don't get trapped by these in the hallway during the AM and PM room cleaning periods that you can on most other cruise lines.
    Good points.

RCCL has a good reputation, and on some ships have pool lifts, but often they are broken or no one knows how to use them. In their buffet, often there are stations that are not accessible, so you would have to have someone else get your food from those places.
    I guarantee that a little assertiveness will go a long way. These issues aren't unique to cruise ships, nor am I new @ dealing with them.

Celebrity usually puts all their accessible cabins all togetherr on the same deck, with a wide hallway so their use of service carts is not such a problem. This does limit the price range of their cabins though.
    The Constellation has accessible rooms scattered throughout 5 decks. I already have a message into the 'special needs' dept. about options.

Our last cruise on them we had problems with service in the dining room though, which tended to sour us on them a bit.
    Again, all that takes is speaking up about any issues. No worries.

As always, I strongly recommend reading some posts on this site and posting more questions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190
    good resource, thanks.

Just my input. I don't think I should have to complain to get good service for what we are paying on a cruise. Obviously I can be assertive and insist, but it is so much more pleasant when good service and consideration is provided without having to push for it.

(KLD)

ps. if u cruise celebrity, youll need a drs note saying you legitamitely need an accessible room. serious. they do this to prevent AB people from stealing the accessible rooms, because most know theyre bigger.

:/
    May the fetus you save be gay

i have cruised 5 summers in a row. this last summer i did not. i've been on Holland and Royal Carib (Celebrity is owned by Royal and is their "cheaper" end). I vote Holland, hands down. Was even on the Zuiderdam 2 yrs ago (3 cruises on HAL, 2 on RC). Can send pics.

Holland was classy, had great rooms (by % wheelchair accessible, had twice as many as RC), great food, great service (geesh, too many ppl jumping up to help me at buffets, etc.).

I still dunno what KLD means about rooms...as long as i asked for wheelchair accessible, i had roll-in showers, the works. and i have never had to provide a doctor's statement that i needed these rooms as theo suggested. my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    I still dunno what KLD means about rooms...as long as i asked for wheelchair accessible, i had roll-in showers, the works. and i have never had to provide a doctor's statement that i needed these rooms as theo suggested. my 2 cents.
    My sisters booked rooms for HAL last April for a June cruise in (Alaska) and they omitted the detail about my needing an accessible room (and using my manual chair fulltime). My sister called special needs desk only a few weeks before departure and they were able to shuffle rooms to accommodate my disability to a fully accessible room. I was pretty impressed at how quickly they had coordinated all that.

I've cruised Celebrity millennium in the Mediterranean and that was pretty uneventful as well.

I think you'll have a great time no matter what you pick, Scott. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and please express my best wishes to your beautiful bride.
    Daniel

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted. It's funny how picky people are over the littlest details about cruises (and I mean ones that really shouldn't matter, like who has better looking furniture, when both are nice). I'm just tired of reading mixed reviews, all from people who claim to be well-travelled. Cass says Celebrity is cheaper compared to RCCL, where most people say it's more elegant. Some say Holland caters to an older crowd more, some say Celebrity does. One guy I spoke to who works in the industry (just not for a specific company) refers to Carnival as "the trailer park of the seas" etc etc etc.

I'm coming to Dan's conclusion... I think just about any option will work well.

Carnival has a bad rep cause its more of a younger party crowd. just got back from a 8 day S carib on Carnival miracle and had a blast! Never made it to bed before 2:30. Got in good with the crew so I partied with them.

I wont cruise on HAL,Celebrity,Princess. Cruisers are to old and stuffy for me. I'll stick with RCCL,Carnival and NCL. You'll have a blast no matter what and any issues you run into are no big deals
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

re: celebrity, i emailed their special needs dept 2 days ago re: needing an accessible room for a honeymoon... received a reply this afternoon... they're holding a room for me even prior to making a reservation. sweet!

i'm impressed... this is looking good so far.

i'll talk to them over the phone in greater detail tomorrow.

let us know, scott, and good luck! btw, all i really said was celebrity is owned by Royal Carib and is their cheaper line. i don't know about celeb's service, but RC's was not great. furniture doesn't matter much to me, but verandahs, service and food do.

anywho, let us know!

told yeah. i heard celebrity even has INTERPRETERS for the shows upon request.
    May the fetus you save be gay