Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cruise gurus: celebrity vs. holland america

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

cruise gurus: celebrity vs. holland america

Those of you who know cruises, help me out.

I'm getting married in April, looking at a cruises for possible honeymoon ideas. I found two that work well with our schedule, one on Celebrity (ship: Constellation), one on Holland America (ship: Zuiderdam). Both would be in the Caribbean.

Ports aside, is there a reason to choose one of these two cruise lines over the other? If so, have you had experience with both? They both look pretty good to me...

Thanks!

Many cruises under my belt. Four Holland, a couple of Royal Caribbean and one Carnival. Carnival and RC are more party oriented which may be more honeymoon oriented depending on your flavor. Holland typically has nicer ships, much better food, caring staff and a classier feel. Personally, I'd choose Holland. Good luck and congratulations.

Thanks Chris. I'm looking @ these two b/c the dates are best. I've considered the other lines already, but none work as ideally.

Thinking of avoiding a party barge for this. Something relaxing & *nice* is what we're after.

I've been on a grand total of zero cruises. The feedback I've gotten elsewhere is that the Celebrity option is likely a little less geared towards the older crowd, plus a great price @ $1250/person for 11 days w/ a stateroom w/ a balcony:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results

Here's the Holland one:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...ateCode=4_2009

Haven't been on celebrity so not sure. Holland is an older, more feeble (like me) crowd.

You youngin's go and raise the roof on Celebrity.

No matter which you choose, cruising is great for accessibility, etc. You'll have a great time.

Btw, KLD has been on many cruises, she'll have plenty of insight. Might want to pm her if she doesn't see this thread.

ummm...go with celebrity. it's supposed to be the best HANDS DOWN. i interviewed a cruise expert not too long ago, and she just gushed about celebrity (no, they dont pay her to gush either). is the constellation a newer ship?
    May the fetus you save be gay

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    ummm...go with celebrity. it's supposed to be the best HANDS DOWN. i interviewed a cruise expert not too long ago, and she just gushed about celebrity (no, they dont pay her to gush either). is the constellation a newer ship?
    Cool. The Constellation is new as of 2002. I guess that's new enough?

Chris, Richard... thanks!
    Last edited by -scott-; 12-02-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Agree about getting KLD's input.
    We enjoyed our week on the Oosterdam, Zuiderdam's sister.
    - Richard

Hi Scott. I've been on the Zuiderdam, and it is a great ship. I'd highly recommend Holland America for any itinerary. Though I've not been on Celebrity, I think you'd find the two lines to be very similar in terms of atmosphere and amenities. The key for me would be the itineraries -- the accessibility of the ports of call, how many ports require a tender (which could limit your ability to go ashore), which places you would be most interested in seeing, and what activities you would be interested in doing. My preference is the Holland America itinerary because it does a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Check out www.cruisecritic.com. Congratulations and have fun!

I thought about the Panama Canal part... that would be pretty neat.

First of all, do you know if you can still get a wheelchair accessible cabin with that short of a notice? Many sell out 12 or more months in advance.

HAL is an older crowd, a little more sedate, but the food is better. Their wheelchair accessible bathrooms are a little on the small side on some of their ships, and don't get dupped into getting their "modified" cabins which are NOT fully accessible but designed for slow walkers and scooter users who can still walk. Their tender lifts are a great way to get ashore, but you must use only a manual chair of less than 18" width for this...no power chairs, no big chairs, and you will have to fight to get off at a reasonable hour as they try to make you go last. On the other hand, HAL does not use service carts for the room stewards so you don't get trapped by these in the hallway during the AM and PM room cleaning periods that you can on most other cruise lines.

RCCL has a good reputation, and on some ships have pool lifts, but often they are broken or no one knows how to use them. In their buffet, often there are stations that are not accessible, so you would have to have someone else get your food from those places. A younger crowd, so you will actually find someone in the disco at 1AM. Good sized and designed accessible bathrooms.

Celebrity usually puts all their accessible cabins all togetherr on the same deck, with a wide hallway so their use of service carts is not such a problem. This does limit the price range of their cabins though. We have had mixed experiences on them as far as services, but generally they are helpful in carrying trays at buffets, etc. Popular with families with children. Our last cruise on them we had problems with service in the dining room though, which tended to sour us on them a bit.

As always, I strongly recommend reading some posts on this site and posting more questions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

(KLD)