Thread: Vets Volunteering For Vets

Vets Volunteering For Vets

Are there veterans out there who volunteer with the VA? I do, and rank it highest on my list of satisfying experiences.

I have T-6 SCI and volunteer with the recreational therapy department of the Charles George VA Medical Center, Asheville, N.C. Most of my time is spent with residents of the hospital's Community Living Center (nursing home and hospice).
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I wonder what kind of volunteering opportunities there are avail with the veterans center period.....
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I do peer mentoring for the new guys (and girls). As we all remember, sometimes you wanted to punch that doctor or pt or ot or nurse who had no idea what we were going through, but the first time we saw someone who was leading a good life in a chair it truly gave us hope back. Whenever I'm at West Roxbury for anything I go up to see if anyone is there. Luckily the last few times there weren't any.

Peer mentors are always helpful, Feisty, especially being a lady you could reach females with sci better than a guy could.

Feisty, contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator at your local VA Medical Center. There are tons of opportunities for volunteer. For example, we have volunteers who work with the therapeutic recreation dept. who help our patients set up the DVD player or Play Station for use when on bedrest, make friendly visits to those patients, and help to plan and carry out on-unit entertainment or food-related activities. There are also volunteer greeters at the hospital entrance, people who deliver books, magazines and mail to patients throughout the hospital, those who help our patients do their laundry if they can't do it themselves, help them fill out patient satisfaction surveys (staff are not allowed to do this), etc. Some facilities have a child care center that volunteers help run. Whatever your interests, there are things you can do, and we usually are begging for volunteers who really want to stick around. Although there is not a VA SCI Center near you, there is a VA hospital or clinic nearby that would be thrilled to see you volunteer.

(KLD)

Volunterring For Vets

As KLD said, there are all sorts of volunteer slots open, and you need not be a military veteran to qualify.

I enjoy interfacing with patients and residents, but there is a need for volunteers to work in records department, transporting papers, laboratory samples, almost every department in a VA hospital has openings for volunteers.

Because I get all my health care from VA, I look upon my volunteering as a savings account--I put some (time) in and draw out much needed health care. Works well for me.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I wonder what kind of volunteering opportunities there are avail with the veterans center period.....
    This is a good time of year to volunteer. The SCI Centers can get pretty lonely for in-patients during the holidays. The volunteer opportunities range from passing out reading materials and goodies, helping with tasks, or just offering to talk/listen. It really depends on what the facility needs.