Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting closer to graduation..... Still confused

Getting closer to graduation..... Still confused

I started school not knowing what I want to do. After a couple years I just picked a major. I am nearing graduation and still don't know what I want to do. I have never had a real job either.

I know I can't be the only one in this situation, but I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    I started school not knowing what I want to do. After a couple years I just picked a major. I am nearing graduation and still don't know what I want to do. I have never had a real job either.

I was in your situation. I used my undergraduate degree to get into graduate school when I really knew what I wanted to do. You aren't alone. What subject did you study?
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    I was in your situation. I used my undergraduate degree to get into graduate school when I really knew what I wanted to do. You aren't alone. What subject did you study?
    I am really not feeling graduate school. My degree is busniness management. I really want to go ahead and start my career. I feel like a moron doing working on resumes. I don't know what to put down.

this probably should go to work, school and money.

Show us your resume, I'm sure ppl here can help you with it.

I got a degree in Education and taught 3 years before realizing It wasn't what I wanted to do. I started looking into other fields and got started in Computer support. I've worked on that for 9 years now. Getting our into the real world will help you choose your path. Good Luck.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

Other than lunch, were there any subjects you were particularly interested in? Just getting a job and not liking it at all will get tiring quickly.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Took me 6.5yrs post-undergrad to figure out what I really wanted to do. Welcome to the club.

Talk to a counselor about volunteering. Honestly you would be surprised how many find their passion by trying to 'give back'.

Any current interests or places where you want to live and level, as in degree of supports needed?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post

You need to figure out what interests or inspires you, and go from there. As Trainman says, working at a job you don't enjoy is a modern day tragedy. You might talk to the recruiters who will be coming to your campus, throw your questions at them, get some feedback. I too have a B.S. in business, and floundered until middle of junior year, when I got interested in MIS and database engineering.

Good salary helps, but only if you're somewhat passionate about what you're doing. It's tough, I know. I've always envied those people who know from the age of 8 what they want to do, and they do it, and do it happily all their lives. I'm not like that, and have had many different careers. I get bored easily, but having a business degree is the best degree to have if you also feel this way. You can take it anywhere and get a job.

Maybe Human Resources or Disability Services Counselor or something similar might pique your interest. Go visit businesses in your area, get a feel for what actually happens in the workplace, to gain some insight. Businesses are usually more than willing to give you a tour if you're a student. You might also check into doing an internship or two to maybe give you some ideas to pursue.
    I wish you good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I think you are far from alone in this. I remember taking as many classes as humanly possible before finally running out of non-major classes and actually having to decide. I knew what was my passion, but I also knew that other fields paid better. In the end I went with my passion and I was never sorry, although the extra bucks might have been nice.