Thread: No Diagnosis??

No Diagnosis??

My boyfriend is a recent paraplegic after experiencing an undiagnosed spinal cord injury in July (nearly 4 months ago). He felt a sudden pain while playing volleyball and felt some weakness in one leg, but could still walk without any problems. Within 24 hours he was experiencing numbness in both legs and after 10 days in the hospital he lost all feeling and muscle control from the base of his rib cage down. He had numerous MRI's, 2 spinal taps, an angiogram, and countless blood tests, but the doctors found nothing conclusive. He has shown no improvement since the injury. He is 45 years old and in excellent health. He has devoted his whole life to sports and was actively coaching high school volleyball and basketball until this happened, so the adjustment is very dramatic. His mental outlook is very positive and he went through a month of physical therapy with flying colors.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that we can do? I have read everything I can find about spinal stroke and stem cell trials, but I haven't found anything that I can actively pursue yet. I would really like to take some agressive action since this is such a recent injury and he is in excellent health otherwise.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    m.

VBNoon, did your boyfriend receive steroid therapy? Whether he has or not he may want to discuss plasmapharesis with his neurologist. There should also be a symposium in Baltimore hosted by Hopkins summer of 2009. Check the TMA site for when at www.myelitis.org.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

No Diagnosis?

Hi --I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've read some very insightful comments in other threads. My boyfriend is a recent paraplegic after experiencing an undiagnosed spinal cord injury in July (nearly 4 months ago). He felt a sudden pain while playing volleyball and felt some weakness in one leg, but could still walk without any problems. Within 24 hours he was experiencing numbness in both legs and after 10 days in the hospital he lost all feeling and muscle control from the base of his rib cage down. He was treated with high doses of steroids and had 5 treatments fo plasma pheresis. He had numerous MRI's, 2 spinal taps, an angiogram, and countless blood tests, but the doctors found nothing conclusive. He has shown no improvement since the injury. He is 45 years old and in excellent health. Because the paralysis progressed slowly, the doctors were more inclined to think this was due to inflammation; we were hoping to see some recovery by now, but there is no change. He has was actively coaching high school volleyball and basketball until this happened, so the adjustment is very dramatic. His mental outlook is very positive and he went through a month of physical therapy with flying colors.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that we can do? I have read everything I can find about spinal stroke and stem cell trials, but I haven't found anything that I can actively pursue yet. It makes things even more difficult since he has no diagnosis.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    m.

I have moved this to combine it with your previous post which was sort of lost in the introductions thread above.

This sounds much more like transverse myelitis (TM) than it does a spinal stroke. Did the doctors mention this diagnosis? Plasmapharesis is not a treatment for spinal stroke, but it is often tried for those with TM.

Here is a good link for more TM information:

www.myelitis.org

Johns Hopkins TM center is considered the leading authority in the world on this condition.

(KLD)