Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    So you suggest to just stay put and do nothing, or? Besides as for the budgets, that might not be correct. For example when the Bush ESC veto is soon turned over, that for sure will redirect some money already in budgets from other budgets to that field. You can be sure about that. But if one stay put, less will happen and less wil go to SCI research. And you can be sure about that too.
    LOL, I can always count on you to distort my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    So you suggest to just stay put and do nothing, or? Besides as for the budgets, that might not be correct. For example when the Bush ESC veto is soon turned over, that for sure will redirect some money already in budgets from other budgets to that field. You can be sure about that. But if one stay put, less will happen and less wil go to SCI research. And you can be sure about that too.
    I too think that this is no reason not to do anything just because Obama cannot effect change till 2010. There are lots of reasons to do this - generate awareness and support specifically for spinal cord research, emphasize that our cure is NOT already here (as some would have us believe), bring together as many as possible under the banner of SCI, lobby governments and health depts in many different countries, not just the US.
    And as far as the States goes, if money is tight and budgets get restricted, then we need to make sure we are collectively doing everything we can to ensure that spinal cord research is not squeezed out.

Sorry Antiquity but that's how I interpreted your words too. What did you mean?

Regarding Facebook, I've just realized that what we probably should do is have a regular page, not a 'cause' one. 'Cause' is an application on Facebook and has 20 million members, whereas as Leif said Facebook itself has over 100 million.

Carbar, SSCR is not available but the spelled out version is. I checked GlobalParalysis & GlobalParalysisNetwork and they are both available. I kinda like the shorter global paralysis the best. And this doesn't mean the web page has to reflect the domain name. The home page would be reflecting the petition or signature aspect, if this was what we thought was ok that is. Just letting you know so keep the ideas moving.

I would not like to put the petition on Facebook and find out that it's not as chummy among the members and then have to ask over a billion people at other internet web sites to join Facebook just to support our cause. I doubt there is half as many on Facebook as you might think. Again, it's no big issue with me how many are there. It's just a lot bigger outside of Facebook than inside. And we did agree that we need a few avenues leading to the petition. I just am not sure putting the petition on an inclusive Facebook web site is the best.
    Last edited by Malibu; 12-04-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Carbar,

Maybe it would be better to create just a group in facebook, like the one for stepnow instead of a whole account?

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Carbar, SSCR is not available but the spelled out version is. I checked GlobalParalysis & GlobalParalysisNetwork and they are both available. I kinda like the shorter global paralysis the best. And this doesn't mean the web page has to reflect the domain name. The home page would be reflecting the petition or signature aspect, if this was what we thought was ok that is. Just letting you know so keep the ideas moving.
    I don't mind those names, but of course the term paralysis spreads further than just spinal cord injury. Stroke victims, MS and other neurodegenerative conditions come under that too. Does this matter? Maybe not. But maybe it is confusing to have a domain name that is so different to the mission name.
    I would go for the mission name as domain name so as to keep it as straightforward as possible.

Yes, Kamazots - a group page on Facebook would probably be the way to go. In addition to the website.

Well it's getting late here - I'm off to bed. All you over the other side of the Atlantic, keep working on this!!! We're getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Show me an example of a good facebook site please. I mean no disrespect, just curious. Can facebook members be directed to a web site outside of their service or is it all inclusive? I would guess that it does.
    Malibu. No problems. Facebook members can be directed to anywhere, and one can post links in groups as one wish. It is very flexible. Here are a couple of facebook group’s examples;

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=10228719652 Cancer 1290437 members

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=multiple+sclerosis&init=q&sid=1887fb5fbc9c bd47215eef3865adc104#/group.php?gid=2222988343 Multiple sclerosis (MS) 19604 members

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10228719652#/group.php?gid=10071284119 Spinal Cord Injury 1151 members (non organisation).

And if facebook, go with a 'group', not 'cause'.

Website?: www.paralysisresearch.com
    Last edited by Leif; 12-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Sorry, I'm not understanding Carbar. There are only so many domain names and to get one even half way is pretty good actually. And you want to keep the domain name small generally because people can remember it AND pass it on to others easier. Also - people are lazy and don't like to type a long address. Your right though about getting key words included. On search engines this may be good as ranking higher but you can rank high with meta tags in the home page. People will finds us, no problem. Remembering us is what we really need the most in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    LOL, I can always count on you to distort my words.
    What were you saying then ? Sorry if I misunderstood.