Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury

great work folks

this will make for a powerful advocacy tool
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Carbar, thanks for the input. I am not sure what the web site will look like but I see three columns working for me. The middle column being a paragraph or two with a petition to sign, maybe with a list of names already gathered below it possibly. The left and right columns can have blocks of information, links, photos,etc... This is how I would see it. Get the petition on page 1 - either top or bottom or even to the side in one of the columns. The right column probably. There can be menus on the left column and on the top if needed. Logo or banner name on top.
    Actually Malibu, what you have there is basically a facebook group page. But if some thinks a webpage are best okidoki. I just think facebook is more flexible and easier to make grow. Facebook is easier for communication too. Whereas a webpage (without a forum) is quite static. Ppl, you need to understand the new era of Internet communication we are in, don’t be old fashion thinkers now I also think one should be careful with the text and not make it another “those poor disabled ppl” sites. If doing that many might avoid it. Stick to facts. Facts can be as powerful as anything. It also shows some seriousness. But I really don’t know what is best, but like madmadmother said above, lots of good brainstorming here. And the signature titles (Signatures for...) by Barbara also sound very good, mine was just a suggestion to have it going so forget that one.
    Last edited by Leif; 12-04-2008 at 04:32 PM.

i am new to facebook and am amazed at possabilties, however the majority of the people i will be asking to sign the petition will not take the effort to sign up at fb first to sign it. imo
    Last edited by Leo; 12-04-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: update
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    i am new to facebook and am amazed at possabilties, however the majority of the people i will be asking to sign the petition will not take the effort to sign up at fb first to sign it. imo
    Correct, it depends on whom you know Leo (we are not that old) lol. I am not solely advocating and suggesting facebook, but it is pretty flexible and with a lot of registered user. Last August they hit the 100 million users mark. Source. It’s a society bigger than most countries out there, just waiting for 'us'

I don't think the CDRPA bill will meet much resistance in Obama's administration since just about all of his congressional appointees have sponsored the bill. As Wise pointed out, not much change will take place in 09 since that's Bush's budget which has already been approved so Obama's planned NIH budget increases won't be taking place until 2010.

I agree with Leo about having to sign up to fb just to sign...but, it has taken me months to get 500 friends on myspace...it is simply a numbers game...the more friends you have, the more they will repost for you...one of my friends, (who has 14,000 friends) and it has taken her years to gather them...managed to get the #1 blog on myspace...meaning millions read her blog...attention all BLOGGERS! so, the way I see it...once a profile is done, all of us already on myspace with friends put the word out to our friends to ad the new profile and we're off to a pretty good start...woohoo!

You got it mom - I've got 1000 "friends" (many are bands) on myspace and about 500 real ones on Facebook - they will experience heavy spamming from me untill they've signed up and made their family/friends do the same in the very near future!

My point is that one doesn’t have to ask ppl to sing on to facebook. There are already over 100 million ppl there (over two times France in population). There are more peoples in the world than the ones we just talk to every day.
    Last edited by Leif; 12-04-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    I don't think the CDRPA bill will meet much resistance in Obama's administration since just about all of his congressional appointees have sponsored the bill. As Wise pointed out, not much change will take place in 09 since that's Bush's budget which has already been approved so Obama's planned NIH budget increases won't be taking place until 2010.
    So you suggest to just stay put and do nothing, or? Besides as for the budgets, that might not be correct. For example when the Bush ESC veto is soon turned over, that for sure will redirect some money already in budgets from other budgets to that field. You can be sure about that. But if one stay put, less will happen and less wil go to SCI research. And you can be sure about that too.

Leif & ya'll, I am not experienced with the facebook and myspace web sites. I read just last week that myspace was about 40 something million users and facebook was a little less than half that, about 14 million. But that's not the issue. Signing up to sign a petition when the internet has over a billion users seems easier to have our own web presence.

Show me an example of a good facebook site please. I mean no disrespect, just curious. Can facebook members be directed to a web site outside of their service or is it all inclusive? I would guess that it does.

There is more than one nation that we need to reach. The AIDS causes get billions in funding every year from many countries. We need the same for paralysis. Especially since it is so costly and may be closer to fix than we might believe.