Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury

Sorry I'm late, i've been going through a rough couple of days, I had surgery a couple of weeks ago and it started bleeding again, hopefully everything is fine now.

I have been researching this for a while, we will need some kind of script to run on the website, the best i've found was Petition Script which I'm not really sure of, What do you guys think ?

carbar, I think that would be enough for now, I'll try and have this done asap and will post my progress.

I'm no expert on all this, but the PetitionScript looks fine for a basic layout. I'm sure you'll be able to build up something good from this.

I know we ruled out using a petition site, but I quite like the look of this -

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/994415686

It has an image, a text, then a sample of the letter that will be sent. I also like the graphic for the number of signatures so far/and target.
    There are no ads, and it has a little digg icon so each signee can recommend the page or email to others.

The simplicity of this petition page combined with a more detailed and personalized facebook page (which could be referenced on the petition) would still be another option.

I don't mean to put a spanner in the works by re-suggesting this - but for speed in getting the thing going, this could work better.

Shout me down if you like!! Just thought it worth mentioning again.

Wow, that looks like a good one. I wouldn't mind if it's ok with Neo. I was having trouble trying to think up enough contents for a full-blown web site anyways. Is that petition site customizable with applets and java scripts or what have you. I noticed a few places for pics but glanced briefly at the format structure, didn't read it.

If you're building full-blown webpage, I'd like to suggest the following links as the start of a list:

Step Now
    United to Fight Paralysis
    Bridges to Hope _ it might be a good idea to get permission to let the slide show run on your site.
    Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
    NSCIA - especially their fact sheets

I'm sure there are plenty of others, I just can't think of them this minute
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    I know we ruled out using a petition site, but I quite like the look of this -

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/994415686

It has an image, a text, then a sample of the letter that will be sent. I also like the graphic for the number of signatures so far/and target.
    There are no ads, and it has a little digg icon so each signee can recommend the page or email to others.

The simplicity of this petition page combined with a more detailed and personalized facebook page (which could be referenced on the petition) would still be another option.

I don't mean to put a spanner in the works by re-suggesting this - but for speed in getting the thing going, this could work better.

Shout me down if you like!! Just thought it worth mentioning again.
    I like very much that too

I flubbed the ipetition one up so if we do go this route, then Neo or someone more apt needs to set it up. Signatures for Spinal Cord Research sounds ok.

Thats fine by me, also thepetitionsite has a way better script and I think we should be fine going that route.

You could still use domain masking (i think) to point to thepetitionsite.com from globalparalysisnetwork.com if you wish, so when somebody goes to globalparalysisnetwork.com they see the petition made in thepetitionsite.com.

Neo

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    I flubbed the ipetition one up so if we do go this route, then Neo or someone more apt needs to set it up. Signatures for Spinal Cord Research sounds ok.
    Neo agrees that the petitionsite is fine, so if no one else wants to do it I'll have a go and post what I come up with before putting it into action.
    Anyone have a good image to include?
    Last edited by carbar; 12-08-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Ok it's a couple of hours later and I've had a bash at doing it - here is what there is so far:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create-online-petition#

hope you can see it.

What should we put in the "sponsored by" box? Is Global Paralysis Network going to exist? Or should we have a recognized organization be sponsor. We could use Stepnow (it is global, and it is pro sci research & has some recognition, going since 2006) or we could ask Unite2FightParalysis or CareCure if they would sponsor the petition (no money involved).

What image should we use?

There is not a lot of scope to put in all the details without it becoming very wordy. I figure that Facebook will have all the scope to cover many stories, viewpoints and stats, links etc. The petitionsite can only do so much in revealing the details. Main thing is to have a page to sign.

Thoughts??

Oh, I just checked how the link opened up and there is nothing, so here is what I put:

Petitition title: Signatures for Spinal Cord Research

Sponsored by: left open

Petition overview:

2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury, with well over 130,000 new cases added every year. That's nearly 400 daily who are sentenced to a life of paralysis and all its complications. Without the use of limbs, control of organs, in some cases the ability to breath, but with the addition of pain, spasticity and the threat of infection, life becomes a battle for survival.
    Recent progress in research has proven that it is now possible to regenerate the injured spinal cord. For those that are paralyzed there is little comfort in this fantastic discovery if it cannot be translated from animal studies to patients. The science is there and what we need from our Governments and health legislators is to ensure that the funding is in place to take this remarkable research from being a result in the lab to being a cure in the clinic.

Sign our petition to urge your President, your Government leaders and their respective health legislators to fund spinal cord research and make paralysis a curable condition. Just think of those 2.5 million and the 130,000 in each year to come who will be able to thank you for making this happen. (Go to our Facebook page for some our stories and more on this petition: )

Petition Letter:

To: Government leaders and health legislators worldwide

There is something that everyone can do today to stop the devastation caused by spinal cord injury. Prominent researchers have proven that a damaged spinal cord can now be regenerated. A cure for paralysis is imminent. Investment in continuing this research and taking it to clinical trials will result in reversing paralysis in those millions already injured, and save those in the future from ever having to suffer such a fate.

This vital work of getting the research from lab to clinic will also benefit those suffering from many other neurogenerative conditions as well as those with diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis.....the list is long.
    Each of us lives an illness or accident away from disability. You, the government, have it in your power to change that.

We, the undersigned, come together urging you to ensure that funding is in place to take valuable research from success in the lab to a cure in the clinic. Millions will be thankful that you did.

The Petition Signers

Petition Promo title : Sign for spinal cord research
    Promo text: Help to make paralysis a curable condition. Millions will be thankful that you did.
    Last edited by carbar; 12-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.