Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury

Carbar, I went with my gut feeling last night and registered "GlobalParalysisNetwork. Links can direct to different parts of the web site as needed.

I agree that paralysis needs to be fixed ASAP. Let's all try to go forward now please.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Carbar, I went with my gut feeling last night and registered "GlobalParalysisNetwork. Links can direct to different parts of the web site as needed.

I agree that paralysis needs to be fixed ASAP. Let's all try to go forward now please.
    Fair enough, what next?

Gathering facts, feelings, and whatever we can convey to others in a positive way is what I would imagine to be a crucial step for us.

I think we should start out the first paragraph with a call to action. How it can improve our life with a simple act on their part. If they want details, then have web page columns, pull down menus, pictures, stories, and other things.

Wow, this thread is moving rapidly

I was kind of busy yesterday, today I'll begin working on that draft, I like your suggestions Malibu and I'll try to include them in the site. Regarding the name, I see you're not all set on GlobalParalysisNetwork, and I also see that you registered a .com, will you redirect that domain ? if yes, what would the name of this campaign be ?

sscir.com,net,org is available (Signatures for Spinal Cord Injury Research) if you guys like that name I can register it.

Neo

a late thought, sorry

however while we need spinal cord research

we really need sci clinical trials

as rjames said in another thread today

so lets target the powers that be about that.

2. maybe give neo green light to start as it can and will be a work in progress until roll out

3. i believe you can have letters as domain but header on web site shows whatever, but we should not let this part slow things down.

jenjen, carbar statements and the jfk type visions should be able to be blended

Leif, it ain't we're old we're getting lazy. now a days iit's just where do i sign

let's hope people read stuff beyond the first part after signing.

i'll try a try at statement also........i see now trials were mentioned......foot in mouth
    Last edited by Leo; 12-05-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: update
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Neo, let's use the domain I already registered. We're still focused on the signature gathering. I'll try writing some content for the web site also.

Thanks Neo for doing the web site. I have done one in the past but I'm just a novice at it.

i stole jenjen, carbar, and triplezs, and came up with this to work with.

i like the emotional snag jenjen's has. i never knew those statistics. thanks jen

This morning, 30 people woke up facing the rest of their lives with a spinal cord injury. For those 30 people who survived their injury, another 50 died within this first 24 hours.

Think for a second, 80 people suffered a spinal cord injury today, less than half of them lived through it. That’s 900 injuries and 1500 deaths this month alone. If any other population from our service people overseas to border-crossers was dying in these numbers, we would do everything within our power to make it stop.

There is something everyone can do today to stop the devastation of life with a spinal cord injury. Prominent researchers are tired of healing rats and have publicly stated that some recovery is now doable and the cure is imminent

With less knowledge than this JFK challenged those with that knowledge to allow man to walk on the moon.

Investment in clinical trials now will allow us to walk again on earth and with great optimism make paralysis a condition of the past.

This vital work will also affect, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis to name a only a few of the diseases currently being studied.

Each of us lives an illness or an accident away from disability. Please do not wait until you are affected to get involved. Sign this petition and browse this web site to learn more.

Cost of sci link
    Consequence of sci link
    -----------------------------------------

It is estimated that each year over 130,000 worldwide survive a traumatic spinal cord injury, with a further estimate of a current total of 2.5 million across the globe. Many of these survivors are young, in their early 20’s and 30’s who now face a lifetime of paralysis following their injury. And this paralysis does not only take away the use of limbs, but it also means the loss of bowel & bladder control, and sexual function too, even in some cases the ability to breathe unassisted is no longer there. In addition central nervous pain and spasticity reduce the quality of the daily lives of many injured even further. Survival is the name of the game in the battle against infection, blood clots, pulmonary failure, depression, isolation and many do not make it through. Spinal cord injury WAS a life-threatening condition with no possibility of a cure but if we look to modern science we can finally see that this is now about to change.

We know that it is possible to survive a traumatic spinal cord injury. Research has proven it is possible to regenerate a damaged cord. This fantastic discovery has yet to be translated into human clinical trials but we are now on the threshold of witnessing the first of these trials. This is momentous. It is the beginning of a cure for our paralysis.

Time can never move fast enough to produce a cure that will bring a halt to the staggering annual numbers of newly injured and the millions already paralyzed. But by coming together and signing this petition we can show governments and legislators that funding for spinal cord research is urgently needed to secure our future cure.

Our signatures can begin to move mountains.

Join our ranks, become a supporter of spinal cord clinical trials. Sign up today.

All who care,

As many of you are aware this January Barack Obama will be sworn in as the president of the United States. Since he is going to invest in America’s future, our goal is to gather a million signatures and ask Obama to fund spinal cord injury clinical trials. When one thinks about a spinal cord injury the thought that comes to mind is the wheelchair however there are many other physical and mental problems one has to deal with, Bellow is a list of ten devastating affects associate with a spinal cord injury and there are many more.

1) Not being able to look a person straight in the when speaking to them.
    2) Not being able to hug a love one.
    3) Chronic pain
    4) Having to put your life in the hands of others (doctors, nurses, family and friends)
    5) Depression
    6) Feeling like a burden on others
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

Please forward this on and sign the petition bellow. It is possible to eliminate paralysis in 10 years; much like JFK set into motion the space program, which was done in a decade. The time to move mountains is getting close. Are we going to be ready? Join our ranks, become a supporter of spinal cord injury clinical trials.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Just a thought...I don't have time to find the story...but if an article were written in say USA Today and if each us were to write a comment in the comment section maybe a story would be written about ALL the comments...who knows, maybe an AP story could be picked up as well...anyone know any newspaper people? An example is the comment I did on the story about Jane Seymore that I just found in an earlier post today, only commented because she memtioned Chris Reeves and the millions suffering from spinal cord injuries...

Leo,

You reminded me of a Letter to the Editor I wrote a while back using the Moon Project tie-in. Use anything you can and ignore the rest....

Nearly 60 years ago, President Kennedy focused this nation on a seemingly impossible goal; that an American would be the first to set foot on the moon. At that time, the materials, technology and business systems needed to accomplish this goal did not exist. As a nation, we conquered the unknown, accomplished our goal and affirmed our place as a world leader. In return, our universities, our businesses and our citizens reaped the benefits of the discoveries made along the way.

When it was President Bush’s turn, he rebuffed the promise of the future. Instead of focusing the mighty resources of the United States to achieve the promise of stem cell therapies he abandoned hope for political positioning. Like our trip to the moon, the country that gets there first will reap the economic and political benefits and claim the bragging rights to the feat.

President Bush’s veto of the Stem Cell Enhancement Act endangers the promise of the discovery of hundreds of therapies the US and will ultimately send Americans and their healthcare dollars abroad. The cures will be found. Just found somewhere else.

Will you send your father to India to cure his Alzheimer’s? Your daughter to Asia for her cervical cancer? Your best friend to Portugal for her spinal cord? And will you also send your children to these foreign universities to learn the best science? Will you have to transfer to your company’s Asian division to work in the most current environment?

President Bush’s veto of the Stem Cell Enhancement Act positions the US, the first country to step foot on the moon, to be among the last countries whose citizens step foot out of their wheelchairs.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Glad to see everyone is still working hard on this. I combined the idea into one document, still needs fixing tho.

As many of you are aware Barack Obama will soon be sworn in as the president of the United States. Since he is going to invest in America’s future, our goal is to gather a million signatures and ask Obama to fund spinal cord injury clinical trials.

It is estimated that each year over 130,000 worldwide survive a traumatic spinal cord injury, with a further estimate of a current total of 2.5 million across the globe.

This morning, 30 people woke up facing the rest of their lives with a spinal cord injury. For those 30 people who survived their injury, another 50 died within this first 24 hours.

Think about it for a second, of the 80 people suffered a spinal cord injury today, less than half of them lived through it. That’s 900 injuries and 1500 deaths this month alone.

Many of these survivors are young, in their early 20’s and 30’s who now face a lifetime of paralysis following their injury. This paralysis does not only take away the use of limbs, but it also means:

1) Not being able to look a person straight in the eye when speaking to them.
    2) Not being able to hug a love one.
    3) Chronic pain
    4) Having to put your life in the hands of others (doctors, nurses, family and friends)
    5) Depression
    6) Feeling like a burden on others
    7) Isolation
    8) Loss of bowel & bladder control
    9) Loss of sexual function
    10) In some cases the ability to breathe unassisted

If any other population from our service people overseas to border-crossers was dying in these numbers, we would do everything within our power to make it stop.

Fortunately, there is something everyone can do today to stop the devastation of life with a spinal cord injury. We know that it is possible to survive a traumatic spinal cord injury. Research has proven it is possible to regenerate a damaged cord. This fantastic discovery has yet to be translated into human clinical trials but we are now on the threshold of witnessing the first of these trials. This is momentous. It is the beginning of a cure for our paralysis.

Please become a supporter of spinal cord injury clinical trials by signing this petition and forwarding the message. It is possible to eliminate paralysis in 10 years; much like JFK set into motion the space program, which was done in a decade. The time to move mountains is getting close. Are we going to be ready? Join our ranks, become a supporter of spinal cord injury clinical trials.