Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury

"Recent progress in research has proven that it is now possible to regenerate the injured spinal cord. For those that are paralyzed there is little comfort in this fantastic discovery if it cannot be translated from animal studies to patients. The science is there and what we need from our Governments and health legislators is to ensure that the funding is in place to take this remarkable research from being a result in the lab to being a cure in the clinic"

I think you might be removing the most important paragraph. People need to know this info. Try shortening it down a bit rather than removing it.

Maybe something like:

Progress in research has proven it is possible to regenerate the injured spinal cord. The science is there and we need our Government and health legislators to ensure funding is in place to take this research from results in a lab to a cure in the clinic.

That's really good.

HELP US MOVE THIS MOUNTAIN

2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury, with well over 130,000 new cases added every year.
    Loss of the use of limbs, control of bowel/bladder, lack of sexual function, the inability to breathe plus untreatable neuropathic pain, spasticity and the threat of infection, make life a battle for survival. Not just a medical battle, but a financial battle too with a lifetime estimate between $438,000 - $1,350,000 per individual depending on level of injury.

Science is ready to move this mountain, we need to make sure that it can.

Sign our petition to urge your President, your Government leaders and their respective health legislators to fund spinal cord research and make paralysis a curable condition.

(Go to our Facebook page for some our stories and more on this petition: )

Just an idea here. Creating a bigger sense of urgency and why. The why is lack of funds. You built the urgency in describing how it affects us and that is real good. You may have a better choice of words for my editing. Again, Just wanted to show you another option of concepts to add. Feel free to use any of this or none. It's ok any way you write it in my opinion.

Science is ready to move this mountain of paralysis but lacks sufficient funding. We need to make sure that it will be done as soon as possible.

Sign our petition to urge your President, your Government leaders and their respective health legislators to fund spinal cord research, making it a thing of the past for those suffering.

Note: That's a brilliant title. I really like that.

Last edited by Malibu; 12-09-2008 at 09:21 AM.

And thinking about the image, is anyone willing to have their photograph used? A picture of an individual will speak much louder than a graphic slogan.
    Maybe an image of someone in a wheelchair with a mountain as the background would convey paralysis to the public. Or maybe just a pix of a mountain. We don't want folks getting mad at us though, removing Mt Ararat or the Alps that is, even though paralysis research moving forward may seem this much trouble.
    Last edited by Malibu; 12-09-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Great thread! I haven't read all of it but I've read enough of it and similar discussions to say that people don't care about others suffering so much as they care about their own suffering. That said, I think this is what they need to understand:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Carbar, What is the estimated total cost because of spinal cord injury? I know that's not really know but 2.5 million times, but say $50,000 a year. This number stated first may get a lot of attention.

100 billion worldwide each year. Just a thought. Maybe this figure could go any where in the text also.
    My 2ยข, will participate, thanks.

very good thread
    Last edited by Mikki82; 12-09-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming for another day, then I'll go over everything again and try to come up with a final version of petition and petition letter.

Don't forget about the image either! Wheelie in front of mountain could be good but who has a shot like that? Or can photoshop one? Any other ideas?

This is an example of the text from a recent Care2 petition that was sent to me:

Enough talk. It's time we got serious about changing America's energy strategy and Repower with 100 percent renewable energy by 2010.

Sign the petition to join the more than 2 million others who have signed on to Repower America!

How do we do it? By focusing on energy efficiency, renewable generation, a unified smart energy grid and automobiles, we can rebuild America's energy systems from every angle.

Click to learn the details of the Repower America plan and sign on to show your support of this bold plan!

Thank you for everything you do.

The other thing which I think is tacky, but marketing-wise seems valid is using the picture of a child. People will gravitate toward knowing they had a part in changing the life of an "innocent victim."

As I said, it might be tacky, but it is the reason why all of those ads are on TV with the starving but beautiful children walking through garbage.

Might be more useful than a logo.

Thanks,
    Liz

New Version

Petition text

HELP US MOVE THIS MOUNTAIN

2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury, with well over 130,000 new cases added every year.
    Loss of the use of limbs, control of bowel/bladder, lack of sexual function, the inability to breathe plus untreatable neuropathic pain, spasticity and the threat of infection, make life a battle for survival. Not just a medical battle, but a financial battle too with a lifetime estimate between $438,000 - $1,350,000 per individual depending on level of injury.

ENOUGH WAITING
    Science is ready to move this mountain of paralysis. It has proven that a damaged cord can be regenerated. But without sufficient funding it cannot deliver a cure.

ACTION
    We need you to urge your President, your Government leaders and their respective health legislators to fund spinal cord research and make paralysis a curable condition.

Please sign our petition

Petition Letter:

To: Government leaders and health legislators worldwide

There is something that everyone can do today to stop the devastation caused by spinal cord injury. Prominent researchers have proven that a damaged spinal cord can now be regenerated. A cure for paralysis is imminent. Investment in continuing this research and taking it to clinical trials will result in reversing paralysis in those millions already injured, and save those in the future from ever having to suffer such a fate.

This vital work of getting the research from lab to clinic will also benefit those suffering from many other neurogenerative conditions as well as those with diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis.....the list is long.
    Each of us lives an illness or accident away from disability. You, the government, have it in your power to change that.

We, the undersigned, come together urging you to ensure that funding is in place to take valuable research from success in the lab to cure in the clinic. Millions will be thankful that you did.

The Petition Signers

As for the image, if nothing else comes up we could use a graphic like the one posted earlier. I found this image on the web, but would have to get permission for it I suppose - not sure how to source it to find out:

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    like JFK set into motion the space program, which was done in a decade.

Should issue a challenge to the rest of the World Leaders too , so everyone gets in on the RACE ! May The Greatest Country Win !

Deny this all you want, but
    Hope? Hype? Fear is what truly Motivates people. May not like it, but, its how the world works. Just ask Hitler, Saddam, and Bush

Most Fund Raiser's/Petitions etc. Use one form of "Fear Tatict" or another.. (even you guys have)

The Line:
    "2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury"
    (Aside from Expressing how many SCI need help,)
    Such statistic's are used to invoke a fear: "Your chances of becoming another SCI victim is This % out of that %" Therefore not only may your Signature help current SCI. it may one day help you. (Which is a powerful incentive of most Fund Raiser's/Donations. )

If worded carefully, you could better Emphasizing the idea of. "You could easily be next" Which would yield stronger results. after all we Don't Live in a Utopia.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....