Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from the Magic Bullet to Enemeez

Switching from the Magic Bullet to Enemeez

I recently discovered that the VA will cover the price of Enemeez and was wondering what everyone's thoughts and opinions were on how best to change bowel management programs. The little bit of research that I have done seems to indicate that this might cut my daily program and a half. How long did it take after switching medications where you were confident that you would not have any involuntary movements throughout the day? How does everyone handle from insertion to first stimulation? Any other information or hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

I tried them a few years ago. They weren't strong enough to do the job for me. I do know people who have switched from bullets and love enemeez.

Try it out, just don't be far from a toilet. Keep rubber gloves and lube, and maybe one of those travel packs of wipes with you in case you feel queezy.

Different strokes for different folks. Some find that Enemeez significantly decreases their evacuation time, while others don't. Some get cramping or AD with it. The same is true for the Magic Bullet. It is pretty much trial and error.

The VA has covered both the Magic Bullet and Enemeez (and its previous version, Theravac) for many years. Both are considerably more expensive than generic bisacodyl suppositories, but if that is what you need, you should get them.

One of the downsides of the Enemeez is that it really requires good hand function to insert independently. There is nothing comparable to a suppository inserter that allows you to be independent if you have a cervical injury or can't reach to insert and squeeze the ampule.

(KLD)

Is using Enemeez a problem if you can't control your anal sphincter?
    Wont the solution just drip out once you squirt it in?

Just wondering how it is possible to use this independently, sitting over the toilet/shower chair, if you can't hold it in?!

It can be, although the volume is so small (5 cc.) that the liquid still works as long as it has sufficient time to come in contact with the rectal mucosa. Unless you have immediate results (and then you may not need something like this anyway), we recommend inserting it laying down and then immediately transfering to the commode or wheelchair and going directly to the toilet.

(KLD)

Thumbs up Enemeez changed my life

I was paralyzed in 95. I went through every enema program known to man, or so I thought. I would generally spend an hour or two in the restroom with some of the regular things like magic bullet. The bad thing was that little to nothing happened so I would think I didn't need to go and then hours later I would have a problem.

About a year after trying all of these a man gave his enemeez because his spinal cord injury miraculously healed after 5 years of being a quad. He didn't need them anymore so passed them along.

After 1 week of enemeez (or less to be honest) I was on schedule. 99% of my accidents became confined to only times when I had a bad stomach. The enemeez work fast (in minutes) but for me to make sure I'm done I typically find myself taking about 30 mins. When using these you want to already be on the toilet or you are going to have problems. At least for me they start right away. One thing and this might sound gross but you can actually use one twice. I can use half of what is in the tube and then use the other half the next night. Again, this may gross people out but if you are having to buy them yourself it is a thought. That leads to my next point.

The only down side to them is the cost. My insurance and almost all insurance doesn't cover them because they are over the counter. This leads me to shopping around and if I can find a good deal I buy several at a time. The latest I found and where I'm about to buy about 3 is at VitalityMedical.com . They currently have a 12% off (coupon MON128) and they are also the lowest on the net (for those like me who are having to pay). Shipping is free if you purchase over $100 so it is a pretty big savings compared to other places online or the local pharmacy. In case you are wondering I am NOT a rep for Vitality. I've bought from Drugdepot.com and many other places. Whoever has the best prices when I'm buying.

Well, if I can help then post back up. I know everyone is different so maybe the enemeez won't be the solution for you but they literally changed my life.

ONE QUESTION - to all out there. Does anyone know of a way to make these yourself? I would think you could get the primary ingredients and use some sort of reusable bulb enema insertion kit or something. If you don't make lot of money then $70 a month (one a day) can cut into your budget quick.

I attempted to make this switch last year, but the Enemeez didn't work at all. I hope you have better luck.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by jaypugh View Post
    ONE QUESTION - to all out there. Does anyone know of a way to make these yourself? I would think you could get the primary ingredients and use some sort of reusable bulb enema insertion kit or something. If you don't make lot of money then $70 a month (one a day) can cut into your budget quick.
    I wonder if you could just melt down a regular generic suppository and insert it with a small syringe. I started using the magic bullet (1/2) when my local rite-aid closed and I couldn't buy the generic suppositories anymore. When I was using the generic suppository I would let it melt down before I inserted it and I found the results happened faster.

One more thing, I find the MB not completely melting, I usually have fast results (5-10 mins) before I get on my showerchair. Anyone else have this problem.

Enemeez does not contain bisacodyl, so you could not replace it by melting a suppository. If you want to use a liquid bisacodyl, Fleets makes a bisacodyl "mini-enema" that is 35 cc. Bisacodyl works by stimulating the myenteric nerves of the bowel, which increases peristalsis, moving stool from the descending and sigmoid colon into the rectal vault.

Enemeez is a combination products of liquid DSS (Colace), liquid glycerin, and liquid medicinal soap. The irritating properties of these work on the mucosa of the rectum, which responds to the irritation by increasing peristalsis and moving stool from higher in the bowel to the rectal vault.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-02-2008 at 08:34 PM.