Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting crooked???

Sitting crooked???

Jesse has been down at the Mayo Clinic two full days of testing. The only procedure(not including every xray imaginable) was cortizone in two nerves that might be causing his problem (feeling cold/clammy/crappy...right armput sweating when he really doesnt sweat). Dr. thinks that a muscle is spasming and pulling his right hip up plus the bottom rib was injured playing rugby which has ????? around it. He thinks the two are rubbing together causing this problem , which you can definitely feel the two are only inches apart of each other while the other side has a good size, probably normal size space, between. So now my question is does anyone sit on a cushion that isnt flat, that might be built up on one side? He hasnt seen any improvement with the cortizone in the nerves so has decided he might just bunch up a towel and see if that helps.

He may want to try a Roho Quattro seat cushion. You can get yourself in the right position and lock the air in the four separate chambers to keep you in that position. That's what I use to help correct a little scoliosis.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Or, on a regular roho, he could try squeezing air out of some of the cells and sealing w/ rubber bands or zipties. I don't know if it would work but it might. Good luck. I hate that Jesse is having trouble!

Aspen Seating - the Ride 1 Cushion has helped many folks with posture issues. And asymmetry. I have built up one side since I have about 2 inches of left gluteus muscle but nothing but bone on the right. So I built up the right side.
    Maybe look into these......
    jon

A custom seating system (custom fit at a specialty seating clinic) may help with any pelvic obliquity, but if he also has a scoliosis this may not be enough. Ask about this as well. Bracing or even surgery may be require to correct scoliosis.

(KLD)

Jesse'sMom, I'm not sure a different cushion would help much if it's his abdominal muscles that are causing the problem. I sit crooked too, but it's because my abdominal muscles are weak on the right side...and partly due to pain. I have a T8-9 injury and I have pain that wraps around from my back to my abdomen, so I tend to sit crooked to relieve pain/pressure. I don't get good medical care because my insurance sucks...so I haven't really tried to get help for my problem. Good luck...I hope you get some kind of resolution soon.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Thank you all so much for the replies. Jess has no ab muscles. He topples forward at the slightest forward movement. I will have him read what everyone has said. And check into the cushion. His is disgusting. Totally shot, no covering on it so I wouldnt doubt at all if this is the problem Thanks again. This website is the greatest.

i too sit crooked went to shepards in atl for help they tried all different thing but the only thing that would have help was a sort of brace that would have they said preventived me
    from transfering bymyself thats not acceptable to meas i live alone .so i sit crooked and hate the way i look . got to love sci

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A custom seating system (custom fit at a specialty seating clinic) may help with any pelvic obliquity, but if he also has a scoliosis this may not be enough. Ask about this as well. Bracing or even surgery may be require to correct scoliosis.

(KLD)

Hi KLD

What kind of brace can one wear to help with scoliosis?
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Orthos kept saying my scoliosis didn't warrant surgery, though it affects my balance and possibly causes my scapulas to stick.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.