Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose car should an aide drive to go shopping?

Blog Entries

Whose car should an aide drive to go shopping?

One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping. Another says it's an expected part of her job that she uses hers. Am I right to assert that to the first one? I probably wouldn't make her stop, but I'd like to know if using my car really should be her expectation or not.

Don't you have a written employment agreement/contract with your PCAs? We do, and it is spelled out that they can only drive our car with specific permission, and to date, only one of the 4 has that permission. The others drive their own car (having a car is a condition of employment for us) and we reimburse for both milage and of course the purchase if they are driving for errands for us (but not to/from work).

This can be an insurance issue as well. While most insurance will cover drivers that you give permission to drive your vehicle, this can be an area of grayness and contention, and of course without permission, it would not cover them or perhaps even your vehicle.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping.
    Nobody has the right to take your car without your permission, let alone one of your employees. The nurse is right to bring up the insurance thing, too. With some companies you have to actually list with the insurer the names of people authorized to drive your vehicle. Anybody not on your list is not covered by your insurance.

The financial aspect is important, but my first point is the really big deal to me. Hel, my husband doesn't drive my car without my permission. Nobody who worked for me would work for me the day after they "borrowed" my car without asking.

C.

x2 on what TR said.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping. Another says it's an expected part of her job that she uses hers. Am I right to assert that to the first one? I probably wouldn't make her stop, but I'd like to know if using my car really should be her expectation or not.
    Its up to you but if she is taking it when she knows you did not say she can't look out she maybe helping herself to other things too. Don't be a victum.

My van is modified for me. I used to let my son drive it on occasion. Arrgghhh, yes, I'm Betheny and I'm an idiot. When he wrecked it, I couldn't get a rental. That van is the only vehicle w/ a left foot accelerator on the planet, apparently.

So, I'd cut a bitch. NOBODY takes my wheels. If I wreck it, it's bad enough. If somebody else does, it adds insult to injury.

Compensating gas would be alot cheaper than a law suit.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

nope. peeps have to have their own car. did you see her take it? or you just look out and it was gone. shes lucky you didnt call the cops.

If I don't go with I will let my attendant take my van, it's easier than reimbursing for miles.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

A car is a condition of employment. No wheels=No job. I do compensate for mileage when used for something I need. I agree it's bad enough if I wreck it! My wife doesn't want hand controls in her car, why? Cuz it's her car! No problem
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"