Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glial scar

Glial scar

Is there any thing that will dissolve the glial scar so that axon growth will occur when the other pieces of the sci puzzle starts showing up? I searched the internet some and if there is anything then I can't find it. How is any therapy going to work until the glial scar is removed? And what does a glial scar look like. From descriptions of it, it sounds like it's thick. How's a nerve gonna grow thru that then?

Malibu. Like some does, -we just butt or necks gain speed and force our way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Is there any thing that will dissolve the glial scar so that axon growth will occur when the other pieces of the sci puzzle starts showing up? I searched the internet some and if there is anything then I can't find it. How is any therapy going to work until the glial scar is removed? And what does a glial scar look like. From descriptions of it, it sounds like it's thick. How's a nerve gonna grow thru that then?
    Decorin. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=314

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    I have many years experience with transplanting neurons into the injured adult nervous system and although my work showed there are guidance cues for directing the growth of axons from transplanted adult neurons in the pathways of the brain (Davies et al Nature 1997) and spinal cord (Davies et al., J Neuroscience 1999), these old studies also showed that the axons failed to grow across scar tissue that had high levels of CSPG inhibitory molecules. This is the reason why I turned my attention to developing technologies such as decorin and GDAs that can greatly improve the the ability of severed axons and those growing from transplanted neurons to grow within the environment of the injured spinal cord.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=420

Choindroitinase does as well.

Embryonic CNS tissue may.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Choindroitinase does as well.

I thought there was a problem getting or using Choindroitinase that was a high enough grade to use in humans.

Decorin does not dissolve the scar does it? I thought it prevented scars from forming, more or less.

How much glial scar is there in a contused injury is what I would like to know. Maybe cutting out part of the scar may be an option, but I don't know.

Malibu, I think it varies from person to person.

The glial scar can be removed, but (because the blood-brain barrier is breached) it will probably return unless something is done to prevent its reformation.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Thanks Steven, That was kinda what I was thinking but then I started wondering about the glial scar. How much typical scarring is there and can any of it be cut out? I thought the spinal tissue very thin and fragile in the first place so I do not seem to see how surgery on it is possible. I know a few people have traveled to China for the OEG procedure but I can't recall if much, if any, tissue was removed from the glial scar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Malibu, I think it varies from person to person.

The glial scar can be removed, but (because the blood-brain barrier is breached) it will probably return unless something is done to prevent its reformation.
    First of, the glial scar should not be an issue to some here, neither the rat type vs. contusion or hemispheric or lab tests semi (hemi)-cut injuries. The issue should be to get more sci research for fixing it. Like more labs working at it to help to study neurons and connections, to fix.

Malibu, a few of the overseas clinics claim to cut out the glial scar. There's some controversy over this because I don't think any of them have shown that what they are removing is only scar tissue.

Accorda is developing chondroitinase for human use, though I don't know how far along they are. Search the forums for Seigaku for more info.

Iron chelaters inhibit CSPG formation, so that's another possible option. I know that a few labs are cutting out (recising) glial scars, followed by infusions of iron chelaters or chondroitinase to see how effective they are. Preliminary results presented at the Society for Neuroscience are promising, according to the researchers.

Thanks again Steven, I haven't found a glial scar image yet but I haven't really looked yet. I'm sure I will though and this should give me a good idea about who is cutting what out.

I know that a few labs are cutting out (recising) glial scars, followed by infusions of iron chelaters or chondroitinase to see how effective they are. Preliminary results presented at the Society for Neuroscience are promising, according to the researchers.
    This is good news if true.

I'm hoping Dr Davies has some thing in mind for chronic injuries on the near horizon that will work.