Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Folks with MS (or possible MS)...a bit of a rant

Jody - Danines post was for December 2008.

awe, I guess I miss here posts. I hope she is well.

Don't feel bad Jody. I've been missing in action too. I had expected to take a 'vacation' from moderating for awhile when my mother-in-law was getting sicker back in 2009. She died in September of that year and about the time we had finished helping my brother in law with her affairs my mother was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer. After a surgery that seemed to have her sounding better than she had in years the biopsies said terminal. Due to a lot of things we helped my Dad find a good nursing home that would help her maintain her strength and health as long as possible and would be close to Dad. We were home all of 6 days when my Dad called late that night to say Mom had died very unexpectedly. I realized today that it has been almost a year now.

I'll try to be back on every few days and dig up more answers when possible for members. I actually had an MRI of my brain and brain stem a few years back to rule out any doubts about MS because clinicaol trials are beginning in some types of SCI. I'm an incomplete quadriplegic, for those new here, due to an ischemic spinal stroke in May of 1992. I'm a C5-7 and was given methylpredisone when I was admitted to the ICU of the Zentral Klinikum Hospital in Augsburg, Germany. Yes, 100% American but my husband was working there at the time. From first pain in my elbows to an induced coma and intubated was 3 hours and the steroids were started about 10-11 hours later. This was when they were a new treatment but I was rapidly trying to upset their mortality rate and a very great resident there pushed for me to get them. I believe I would be dead or still on a vent if I hadn't gotten them.

Anyway, I'm back. And I still do not know more about non-spinal paralysis such as CP, traumatic head injuries, visual problems not related to MS, TM or Devics or the other rarities in the neuro area. I can help with how to search for information though. And I have no medical degrees of any kind. In emergencies call 911 or go to your nearest urgent care/ER do not wait for answers here or on the other forums.
    Sue
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, I had noticed your absence and was concerned - am very glad to see you back here. You were one of the first people to welcome me when I joined CC and it meant a lot to me. What a hard several years you've had! I'm so sorry for your losses. Welcome back, I look forward to your posts and wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    awe, I guess I miss here posts. I hope she is well.
    I miss Danine and the others that often posted when I stumbled in here lonely and scared for my hubby the end of 2009.
    Fresh out of 6 week ICU, 4 mo rehab, a couple months in our new home and back to hospital with pneumonia for 2 hellish months of docs telling me to put him in NH.
    The familiar faces and names here were soothing and now many gone.
    Much of our survival and my sanity has to do with the people here, most unaware.
    I felt more confidence to do this thing when the trach and vent and other appliances added after hospital.
    Forgive me for repeating our story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Don't feel bad Jody. I've been missing in action too. I had expected to take a 'vacation' from moderating for awhile when my mother-in-law was getting sicker back in 2009. She died in September of that year and about the time we had finished helping my brother in law with her affairs my mother was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer. After a surgery that seemed to have her sounding better than she had in years the biopsies said terminal. Due to a lot of things we helped my Dad find a good nursing home that would help her maintain her strength and health as long as possible and would be close to Dad. We were home all of 6 days when my Dad called late that night to say Mom had died very unexpectedly. I realized today that it has been almost a year now.

I'll try to be back on every few days and dig up more answers when possible for members. I actually had an MRI of my brain and brain stem a few years back to rule out any doubts about MS because clinicaol trials are beginning in some types of SCI. I'm an incomplete quadriplegic, for those new here, due to an ischemic spinal stroke in May of 1992. I'm a C5-7 and was given methylpredisone when I was admitted to the ICU of the Zentral Klinikum Hospital in Augsburg, Germany. Yes, 100% American but my husband was working there at the time. From first pain in my elbows to an induced coma and intubated was 3 hours and the steroids were started about 10-11 hours later. This was when they were a new treatment but I was rapidly trying to upset their mortality rate and a very great resident there pushed for me to get them. I believe I would be dead or still on a vent if I hadn't gotten them.

Anyway, I'm back. And I still do not know more about non-spinal paralysis such as CP, traumatic head injuries, visual problems not related to MS, TM or Devics or the other rarities in the neuro area. I can help with how to search for information though. And I have no medical degrees of any kind. In emergencies call 911 or go to your nearest urgent care/ER do not wait for answers here or on the other forums.
    Sue
    Welcome back, Sue.

Thanks everyone. Seems most mods need a vacation at times but really didn't expect mine to be so long. It's nice to be back because I get as much from this site as everyone else.

Linda, I would have gone off in their faces and gotten no where. Unfortunantly many people have been told to drop spouses at nursing homes or divorce them so they'd get more care. For those who have been there any thoughts or solutions you've come up with to keep the family together and everyone in the same home? I fear this will get worse as time goes on so we need to brain storm ahead of time and be ready.

And thanks for the cards.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest
    If you have any more MRI's to rule out MS, or to confirm, the MUltiple Sclerosis Center of America might be able to help pay the cost. You can locate them on the web.

Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest
    Sorry, I made a goof - I meant to say the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America. When I am tired, which is most of the time, my brain just doesn't work well - smiles.