Paralyzed Football Player Promises to Beat the Odds
Posted By: Victor Blackwell Created: 11/24/2008 10:26:29 PM Updated: 11/25/2008 11:47:16 AM

ATLANTA, GA -- Milton Oshay Johnson was a championship weight lifter. He brags about once bench-pressing 305 lbs. After a traumatic injury left him paralyzed, he'd be elated if he could lift his own fingers.

The 16-year-old most people call 'Oshay' was an instant star on the Baker County High School Junior Varsity Wildcats, as a freshman.

"He's just a guy who could do it all," said Head Football Coach Bobby Johns.

"I think football was his life," Johns added.

Johns watched Oshay develop as a safety, a linebacker, a corner and a tailback.

"He became a kid that was a leader on our team, he was a leader in our school," said Johns.

After a rough start in his early teens, Adruim Jefferson heard her son talk about life in a new way because of football.

"He got attached to Coach Johns and he decided, 'I want to get myself together. I want to play football. I want to go to college,'" said Jefferson.

Oshay wanted to play for Louisiana State University and maybe one day go to the NFL.

People in Macclenny say he was that good.

"He was going to be a phenomenal football player," Johns said.

However, Oshay will probably never play traditional football again.

Instead of running the ball for a touchdown, Oshay now uses a mouth control to drive his motorized wheelchair into the end zone. He can't carry the ball. It sits in his lap.

[MORE: COMMUNITY SUPPORTS OSHAY]

read...

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...0&provider=rss