Thread: Paralyzed Football Player Promises to Beat the Odds

Paralyzed Football Player Promises to Beat the Odds

Paralyzed Football Player Promises to Beat the Odds
    Posted By: Victor Blackwell Created: 11/24/2008 10:26:29 PM Updated: 11/25/2008 11:47:16 AM

ATLANTA, GA -- Milton Oshay Johnson was a championship weight lifter. He brags about once bench-pressing 305 lbs. After a traumatic injury left him paralyzed, he'd be elated if he could lift his own fingers.

The 16-year-old most people call 'Oshay' was an instant star on the Baker County High School Junior Varsity Wildcats, as a freshman.

"He's just a guy who could do it all," said Head Football Coach Bobby Johns.

"I think football was his life," Johns added.

Johns watched Oshay develop as a safety, a linebacker, a corner and a tailback.

"He became a kid that was a leader on our team, he was a leader in our school," said Johns.

After a rough start in his early teens, Adruim Jefferson heard her son talk about life in a new way because of football.

"He got attached to Coach Johns and he decided, 'I want to get myself together. I want to play football. I want to go to college,'" said Jefferson.

Oshay wanted to play for Louisiana State University and maybe one day go to the NFL.

People in Macclenny say he was that good.

"He was going to be a phenomenal football player," Johns said.

However, Oshay will probably never play traditional football again.

Instead of running the ball for a touchdown, Oshay now uses a mouth control to drive his motorized wheelchair into the end zone. He can't carry the ball. It sits in his lap.

[MORE: COMMUNITY SUPPORTS OSHAY]

read...

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...0&provider=rss

What a guy! lol I think I am going to try this this weekend, yeah right, lol

Disabled teen becomes world's first person to do a backflip in a WHEELCHAIR

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 10:50 AM on 25th November 2008

A daredevil teenager has become the first person ever to perform a backflip in a wheelchair.

Aaron Fotheringham, 16, who is known to friends as ‘Wheels’, finally landed the official world record after learning the amazing acrobatic stunt two years ago.

Aaron, who was born with spina bifida and has been in a chair since he was three, said: ‘It feels awesome to have the record.’

Head over wheels: Aaron Fotheringham, 16, performs the record-breaking stunt

The American teenager is also credited with creating the sport of ‘hardcore sitting’ where daring stunts adapted from skateboarding and BMX are performed in a wheelchair.

‘It’s wonderful,’ said his mother, Kaylene Fotheringham after he was accepted by the World Records Accademy last month.

‘We always thought he was the first one to do it but today we know he has the world record.’

He began doing stunts at the age of nine when his elder brother Brian took him to their local skate-park in Las Vegas.

Brian encouraged him to go down a ramp and the obsession was born.

Now Aaron gets flown all over the world to perform stunts and spends at least three hours a day practicing.

read...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl....html?ITO=1490

one more story.

Anger at disabled film 'warning'

Disabled actors and audiences said the advisory note was offensive
    A film that stars disabled actors has caused controversy because it was given a 12A rating warning viewers that disabled people were featured in it.

Special People, which was largely shot in Worcestershire, is one of the first movies to use disabled lead actors, its director has said.

But its stars said it was unfair they were singled out by an advisory note.

The British Board of Film Classification said the advisory notice was withdrawn following complaints.

It said it had issued similar advisory notes on other disability-themed films previously.

'Compelling reason'

Although the note was withdrawn by the board on 3 November, the film makers said it was too late to change their publicity material.

more...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ds/7748854.stm