Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility and aging

Flexibility and aging

I am finding it more and more difficult to maintain flexibility as I age. And the recent advent of cold weather has made it even worse. Stiffer legs make things like the monthly ritual of changing the catheter more difficult. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Yep, it happens to us all, AB or SCI. Keep up the range of motion exercises, and if you think you have some osteoarthritis going on, speak to your physician about medication management. It can help.

By the way, if you have very limited hip abduction, it is possible to insert a catheter for a female on your side in the knee-chest position. I often find this easier if a woman has really bad spasticity in their hip adductors as well.

(KLD)

God yes. I go to the gym, spend 40 out of 50 min. on the floor stretching! For Thanksgiving, I am thankful that is an option for me.

Stretch any way you can, every time you can. Do it in bed before sleeping, or before getting up. It's only gonna get worse.

Aging SUCKS.

At (soon to be) 20 years post, it does only get worse. But you can age gracefully.... I do stretches and make sure I get down in the floor daily just to keep loose.

I do get in the pool too when I am not being lazy.

If you stop maintaining your level of activity, you will find you lose the ability to do the things you once were able to do. Ive been there done that too.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

DD, take care so you don't overuse like I did. I did not getting worse before close to 30 years post but since then I have to pay for all the things I had done in the past.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Cold is a definite contributor to my not moving!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Not sure what contributes more to my increasing battle to maintain flexibility - crossing the 50 barrier or the 28 years post. I am normally not very spastic unless I am cold.

Woman from Europe,

In the early years, I sadly did push myself. I have realized that it is important to not over use. So I take it easier on myself these days. I use my scooter for long distances these days and I don't allow myself to feel guilty about having to give in.

For me, humidity is my nemesis. I can handle the cold weather as long as it is dry. However, when the humidity tops 65%, I hurt.

That was one of my reasons for moving to a dryer area. I have lots more good days than bad now that I experience less rainy days.

Unfortunately, the last few days we have been in the 70-80% range here which is rare.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm 41 and 22 yrs post and I haven't noticed my flexibility diminishing but its good to know this is a possibility. As I age with sci the one thing I see worsening is my posture, I constantly have to remind myself to sit up straight, hopefully a new wc will help too.

This is the only good thing about being flaccid.

I found swelling has a direct affect. When the infections were cooling and the swelling was abating ... my flexibility returned (with a vengeance which is good!) ... even in my left foot, which was the worst.

The only thing I've noticed though is that my stomach feels 'tight' just under the sternum area. I have to lie down at such an angle where my back is arched to stretch it out regularly (my bed is uneven with an air mattress allowing me to do this) ... it's where I can feel and above my line of numbness. I figure it's from 23yrs+ of sitting down is all. I've noticed my knees sticking out a bit more than they used to as well ... again, sitting down has its effects.

Do you have swelling at all in your legs?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12