Thread: Embreonic stem cells

Embreonic stem cells

When my second child was born i banked the his Umbilical cord blood. could this now or in the future be used as a therapy for my SCI?

Im sorry i ment Umbilical cord not embrionic!!

Quote Originally Posted by dianedank View Post
    When my second child was born i banked the his Umbilical cord blood. could this now or in the future be used as a therapy for my SCI?
    Diane, half of the genes in your child's cord blood cells comes from you and half from the child's father. You have a good chance of matching but it may not match. Most people who do not have their own cord blood cells should still be able to find a unit that matches them from a public bank.

Wise.

Dr Wise i was under the impression that the father couldn't use the cord blood just the mom and the kids at least thats what CBR has informed me on. But regardless the question i have is how much research has been done on using cord blood and is this something that might be in our future?

Quote Originally Posted by dianedank View Post
    Dr Wise i was under the impression that the father couldn't use the cord blood just the mom and the kids at least thats what CBR has informed me on. But regardless the question i have is how much research has been done on using cord blood and is this something that might be in our future?
    Diane,

We are planning a clinical trial in China that will be transplanting HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cord and then randomizing to lithium or no lithium. We are doing the research on this treatment.

Wise.