Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    Sue,

Don't forget Beirut, the Persian Gulf, Somalia, Kosovo, East Timor, and Yemen.

Adi,

Most vets today have never actually shot someone...only ground forces and pilots engage in most, but not all, of the actual combat (based on my experience as a division and wing Marine for 12 years). Some units only use indirect fire, leaving many individuals unaware of whether casualities resulted by their very hands as opposed to some other cause. All vets however are proud for having served regardless of capacity.

Your question is fair but can strike a nerve in those who live with the ugly reality of combat. I urge you to check Amazon.com for some really good books written by service members who freely discuss their combat experience. A really good book called On Killing by LtCol Dave Grossman is a great read for those who are curious about the psychological cost of killing.

Good luck.

Gunner
    Thank you ...I will check and read the book.Since I was a kid I loved to listen stories about wars and combat .My both grandfathers fought in the WWII ...amaizing stories about combat experience and survival .I was fighting as well the communism during the revolution in 1989.Thanks God that I am still alive .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    Mike C,

Yes (assuming you're an ELIGIBLE peace-timer...meaning honorably discharged). Here's the info right from the VHA directive.

"Priority 4 status is given to veterans who are in receipt of increased pension based on a need of regular aid and attendance or by reason of being permanently housebound, and other veterans who are catastrophically disabled as determined by VHA. Benefits of Priority 4 inclusion include elevation of the veterans’ existing enrollment priority status and the opportunity to enroll and receive VA healthcare services for those who may otherwise be ineligible due to a Priority Group enrollment restriction.

Veterans are considered to be catastrophically disabled who have a permanent severely disabling injury, disorder, or disease that compromises the ability to carry out the activities of daily living to such a degree that the individual requires assistance to leave the home or requires constant supervision to avoid physical harm to self or others as defined by Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 17.36 (e).

VA Form 10-0383, Catastrophically Disabled Veteran Evaluation, may be initiated at the request of the veteran, representative of the veteran, or the facility."

As for costs, here is a VA link that outlines current co-pay rates. http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/CopayRates/CopayRates.pdf

I went to the va.gov site and did a search for that form. It is no longer listed, either by name or number. Only form that looks similar is this one: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0819-ARE.pdf

Maybe they zapped that benefit recently?
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Here is the related VA directive:

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/V...sp?pub_ID=1200

I know I have the form as a PDF at work but won't be back there for several days. Regardless, your PVA NSO will have this form and can help you file it very easily. I know it is still in use as we had to use one very recently to get a new injury patient into our unit.

(KLD)

Thanks Kathy!
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I went to the va.gov site and did a search for that form. It is no longer listed, either by name or number. Only form that looks similar is this one: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0819-ARE.pdf

Maybe they zapped that benefit recently?
    You'll see the actual form when your VA doc conducts the exam. All you need to do is request a catastrophic disability evaluation. I can assure you the benefit still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by POPO367 View Post
    Quadvet,
    Both hospitals I was in after my accident (UCI Irvine and St Judes, Fullerton) never mentioned VA benefits. St Judes is considered a top notch spinal cord facility. The way I found out was I had a handyman at my house doing a job and we started talking. He mentioned that he went to the Long Beach VA for stroke he had earlier in the year. He asked me why I wasn't going to the VA, I told him that I didn't qualify because my injury was not service connected. I called the PVA and they explained everything. I called ST Jude and spoke to the main Spinal Cord Nurse (outpatient) who didn't have a clue about out VA benefits. She knew about the PVA but did not know about the benefits. I ended up chewing her out and told her that there was no excuse why no one, not my social services, therepists, doctors, janitors did not mention our VA benefits. She has since passed on the information to her management, who knows if it will do anything, I doubt it. I haven't given up yet I plan on doing a follow up with the social services department at the hospital.

I think that it is up to all of us to get the word out, if you go to therapy, doctors visits, support groups, you name it. If you meet a new gimp tell them.
    Yep its a crying shame. Seems like insurance companies and States would be all over it, trying to save themselves money.

New Here

Vietnam era U.S. Army
    Det. C, 4th MP Group, CID
    100% Svc connected "Functional Quad"
    C4, 5, 6 Injury resulting from head-on vehicle collision during high speed pursuit

Board of Directors ~ WV Chapter PVA

Greetings everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum while Googling Topamax for SCI pain as alternative for Neurontin. Hoping to eliminate all but bare minimum of narcotic pain control.

Merry Christmas to all!
    Nais kung pumunta ng Mindanao!

Quote Originally Posted by voofie View Post
    Vietnam era U.S. Army
    C4, 5, 6 Injury resulting from head-on vehicle collision during high speed pursuit

Greetings everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum while Googling Topamax for SCI pain as alternative for Neurontin. Hoping to eliminate all but bare minimum of narcotic pain control.

Merry Christmas to all!
    welcome voofie. So glad to see you here at CareCure. Wise.

Hi Voofie. Hey, I believe the Feds still have their "flee and evade"
    driving school in WV. I doubt your crash was there though. Do you ever get the serious giggles watching NCIS?

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by voofie View Post
    Vietnam era U.S. Army

Greetings everyone,

Merry Christmas to all!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Navy Veteran

1. USA
    2. U.S. Navy, journalist with specialties as publications editor, Armed Forces Radio and Television.
    3. 1954-1963. Missed Korea and Viet Nam.
    4. Service connected for leg and knee injuries, but not for SCI which came into my life seven years ago.
    5. Current volunteer at VA hospital and with Paralyzed Veterans of America. Receive all my health care via the VA and have no complaints.

While in Navy served shipboard sea duty; newspaper editor U.S. Naval Base Bermuda;Admiral's staff, newspaper editor, manager base television station, Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Amphibious Force Atlantic newspaper editor, Little Creek, Va.

Fully enjoyed my time in the Navy. I met my wife of 48 years in Bermuda, both daughters born in Guantanamo.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now