Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

• USA
    • CW4, U.S. Army, Retired (20 year retiree, VN Veteran, flew helicopters)
    • 1970 - 1990
    • 100% Service Connected, SPMS
    • I get great care from the Tampa VA Hospital SCI/D Clinic.
      I'm mostly just a lurker but I do stop by everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    I spent some time at RAAF Amberley during Tandem Thrust 97 joint exercises. One of my best tours. Loved Brisbane.
    Hi VA...hope you were able to get some time off to explore Brisbane and its surrounds. Although if you went in Summer it would of been pretty darn hot there. I spent some time based at 38 SQN (Caribou aircraft), prior to its move to Amberley around 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabanana View Post
    Hi VA...hope you were able to get some time off to explore Brisbane and its surrounds. Although if you went in Summer it would of been pretty darn hot there. I spent some time based at 38 SQN (Caribou aircraft), prior to its move to Amberley around 1994.
    I met a wonderful girl in Brisbane and spent my liberty hours hopping trains and taxis to go see her the whole time. Yes indeed, it was hot. We were testing Humvees in the outback (this was before the world turned them into gas guzzlers on our highways). I always said that if I ever wanted to leave the U.S. for good, I'd move to Australia.

This is me holding some kind of animal at RAAF Amberley.

I took this pic in Brisbane...beautiful city.

Last edited by Veteran Advisor; 12-08-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Ancientgimp,

Should you decide to revisit your VA health care eligibility, I encourage you to reapply as a Category 4 veteran versus Category 8 where income can be a bar to benefits. Under Category 4, a veteran qualifies for care by virtue of catastophic injury whether service connected or not. A VA physician will need to examine you to validate your catastrophic status and you may have a co-pay if your income is too high, but you will have access to prosthetic equipment and other SCI care benefits through the VA, including new wheelchairs every few years, vehicle modifications (no hand controls though), and a small home grant for structural alterations---all assuming you are wheelchair bound and have an honorable discharge.

If you feel this may be something worth pursuing, I can tell you what you need to do.
    Never heard of this. Can any vet, peacetime or wartime, get Cat 4 status if they have a SCI? Any idea on how much it costs...if at all?
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Sue,

Don't forget Beirut, the Persian Gulf, Somalia, Kosovo, East Timor, and Yemen.

Gunner
    Kind of hard to Gunner (always want to say "Chief"). I worked with 2 Marines who were in Beirut during the big bang. They spent an extended, 360 day, TDY at FSA learning a few tricks of the trade. A platoon mate I still keep in touch with got out as an E-5 to the reserves and came back in as an 2nd LT in time to watch a couple of his guys killed during Desert Storm. He was also tossed around during 9-11 as he was in the DA area outer ring. Tried to get in touch with him for 3 days before his .mil address shot out an auto-response saying he ws alive. I also learned to (hmmm "smuggle" is such an ugly word) repackage certain prohibited items to men from my husband's unit to Kuwait. Knew one of the spouse's instructors who lost a hamstring in the Mogadishu fiasco but kept running his PFTs as a Major to retirement. VERY happy we decided against Somalia as an embassy assignment back in 1987. They would have sent him back more recently after calling in his retirement orders as Chief4 and he makes more and is way too old to play them games now.

There are so many "little" wars that many civilians don't even know we have troops in half the time. Most don't know about Timor or Kosovo as far as our troops are concerned. And if the piracy keeps up I can see another few small countries we'll have troops in and ships tied up to. That or, as you told Adi, a few well placed but not seen until the satelite photos come back missiles to the right coordinates.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Never heard of this. Can any vet, peacetime or wartime, get Cat 4 status if they have a SCI? Any idea on how much it costs...if at all?
    Mike C,

Yes (assuming you're an ELIGIBLE peace-timer...meaning honorably discharged). Here's the info right from the VHA directive.

"Priority 4 status is given to veterans who are in receipt of increased pension based on a need of regular aid and attendance or by reason of being permanently housebound, and other veterans who are catastrophically disabled as determined by VHA. Benefits of Priority 4 inclusion include elevation of the veterans’ existing enrollment priority status and the opportunity to enroll and receive VA healthcare services for those who may otherwise be ineligible due to a Priority Group enrollment restriction.

Veterans are considered to be catastrophically disabled who have a permanent severely disabling injury, disorder, or disease that compromises the ability to carry out the activities of daily living to such a degree that the individual requires assistance to leave the home or requires constant supervision to avoid physical harm to self or others as defined by Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 17.36 (e).

VA Form 10-0383, Catastrophically Disabled Veteran Evaluation, may be initiated at the request of the veteran, representative of the veteran, or the facility."

As for costs, here is a VA link that outlines current co-pay rates. http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/CopayRates/CopayRates.pdf

Veteran Adviser, I was hoping you would post that Category 4 catastrophic injury info in a sticky, so SCI-Nurse KLD wouldn't have to keep explaining it in the other forums. Like you did the MS sticky. It's really amazed me over the years that healthcare providers and insurance companies don't refer veterans to VHA, purposely or not.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Veteran Adviser, I was hoping you would post that Category 4 catastrophic injury info in a sticky, so SCI-Nurse KLD wouldn't have to keep explaining it in the other forums. Like you did the MS sticky. It's really amazed me over the years that healthcare providers and insurance companies don't refer veterans to VHA, purposely or not.
    Roger that...will do, QV.

Roger that...will do, QV.
    Thanks.

Quadvet,
    Both hospitals I was in after my accident (UCI Irvine and St Judes, Fullerton) never mentioned VA benefits. St Judes is considered a top notch spinal cord facility. The way I found out was I had a handyman at my house doing a job and we started talking. He mentioned that he went to the Long Beach VA for stroke he had earlier in the year. He asked me why I wasn't going to the VA, I told him that I didn't qualify because my injury was not service connected. I called the PVA and they explained everything. I called ST Jude and spoke to the main Spinal Cord Nurse (outpatient) who didn't have a clue about out VA benefits. She knew about the PVA but did not know about the benefits. I ended up chewing her out and told her that there was no excuse why no one, not my social services, therepists, doctors, janitors did not mention our VA benefits. She has since passed on the information to her management, who knows if it will do anything, I doubt it. I haven't given up yet I plan on doing a follow up with the social services department at the hospital.

I think that it is up to all of us to get the word out, if you go to therapy, doctors visits, support groups, you name it. If you meet a new gimp tell them.