Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 143

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I was never able to access any VA services, I was running out of medical insurance in rehab but still had too much income to get any VA help.
    Ancientgimp,

    Should you decide to revisit your VA health care eligibility, I encourage you to reapply as a Category 4 veteran versus Category 8 where income can be a bar to benefits. Under Category 4, a veteran qualifies for care by virtue of catastophic injury whether service connected or not. A VA physician will need to examine you to validate your catastrophic status and you may have a co-pay if your income is too high, but you will have access to prosthetic equipment and other SCI care benefits through the VA, including new wheelchairs every few years, vehicle modifications (no hand controls though), and a small home grant for structural alterations---all assuming you are wheelchair bound and have an honorable discharge.

    If you feel this may be something worth pursuing, I can tell you what you need to do.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Rough time to be in Korea, Bookjunky, I remember the stories.

    August 18, 1976 - In what came to be known as the Axe Murder Incident, two US Army officers are brutally murdered and 4 other US personnel injured -- by 30 North Koreans wielding axes and metal pipes -- while attempting to trim a tree in the DMZ.

    August 21-September 8 - Operation Paul Bunyan. Some 26 gunships and a Quick Reaction Force of 300 back up 2nd Engineer Bn. members to cut down the tree which was involved in the August 18 incident. Naval Task Force 77.4, led by the USS Midway, is dispatched to the Korean coast. Aircraft from Okinawa, Guam and Idaho are sent to South Korea. One US helicopter is hit by North Korean fire.

    July 16, 1977 - North Korea releases a US helicopter pilot after 57 hours of captivity. Bodies of three other crew members killed when their CH-47 Chinook were shot down after straying over NK airspace on the 14th are returned.

    More.
    I was there when the tree trimming incident took place. Friend of mine was a medic at one of the aid stations that handled the personal that came through.

    It was kind of like as the weather there begin to get really hot tempers would flare on the DMZ.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I had you up to the K. I was at USAFS-Ausgsburg. ASA changed to INSCOM before I joined. But knowing the ASA song to the music from the Hymn of the Green Berets and the spouse's first assignment after signing up in 1967 was as an ASA MP at Kagnu Station I wasn't sure. I was a Czech/Slovak 98G. You?
    Was an 05H, KorCom. That will mean something to Sue but few others.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    Ancientgimp,

    Should you decide to revisit your VA health care eligibility, I encourage you to reapply as a Category 4 veteran versus Category 8 where income can be a bar to benefits. Under Category 4, a veteran qualifies for care by virtue of catastophic injury whether service connected or not. A VA physician will need to examine you to validate your catastrophic status and you may have a co-pay if your income is too high, but you will have access to prosthetic equipment and other SCI care benefits through the VA, including new wheelchairs every few years, vehicle modifications (no hand controls though), and a small home grant for structural alterations---all assuming you are wheelchair bound and have an honorable discharge.

    If you feel this may be something worth pursuing, I can tell you what you need to do.
    I would definitely be interested. Bought my current chair out of pocket as since retirement my insurance benefits for chairs are terrible. I have always covered van lifts, etc. out of pocket. After leaving active service with regular (honorable) discharge I joined active reserves and was involved there until my injury and they issued me a medical retirement. If you can instruct me on how to apply for type 4 benefits, feel fee to pm me or reply here. Thanks.

  5. #35
    Ancient, your best bet is to contact your local PVA National Service Officer. They can help you to apply, and also bird-dog the application so that it does not get stuck on someone's desk. You do need to join PVA (free) and sign a POA form for the NSO, but this is quick and easy to do when you meet with them.

    You can find a list of PVA NSOs from the sticky topic on veteran's resources at the top of this forum, as well as a link to the 10-10EZ form that you will need to complete to apply. The NSO will have those too, but if you fill it out first it will save you some time.

    (KLD)

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Ancient, your best bet is to contact your local PVA National Service Officer. They can help you to apply, and also bird-dog the application so that it does not get stuck on someone's desk. You do need to join PVA (free) and sign a POA form for the NSO, but this is quick and easy to do when you meet with them.

    You can find a list of PVA NSOs from the sticky topic on veteran's resources at the top of this forum, as well as a link to the 10-10EZ form that you will need to complete to apply. The NSO will have those too, but if you fill it out first it will save you some time.

    (KLD)
    Ancient,

    SCI-Nurse covered it all. Please keep us posted on your progress.

  7. #37
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunky View Post
    Was an 05H, KorCom. That will mean something to Sue but few others.
    Yup!! LOL Some of my best party buds were "bops". Had one guy I worked with who switched from AF bop to Army linguist. Great at both. he used to copy the dits and dashes on his SQT that we were just supposed to identify. LOL Hey does the rocking ever go away?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  8. #38
    1. US
    2. Army Aviation (7th ID, 82nd ABN, 160th SOAR(A))
    3. 1987 to present
    4. Service Connected - Helicopter crash JUN '08
    5. Remaining on active duty for a year or two and then medical retirement

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago View Post
    my friends i have a question please....how many of you fired a gun against enemy?
    Sue,

    Don't forget Beirut, the Persian Gulf, Somalia, Kosovo, East Timor, and Yemen.

    Adi,

    Most vets today have never actually shot someone...only ground forces and pilots engage in most, but not all, of the actual combat (based on my experience as a division and wing Marine for 12 years). Some units only use indirect fire, leaving many individuals unaware of whether casualities resulted by their very hands as opposed to some other cause. All vets however are proud for having served regardless of capacity.

    Your question is fair but can strike a nerve in those who live with the ugly reality of combat. I urge you to check Amazon.com for some really good books written by service members who freely discuss their combat experience. A really good book called On Killing by LtCol Dave Grossman is a great read for those who are curious about the psychological cost of killing.

    Good luck.

    Gunner

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Yup!! LOL Some of my best party buds were "bops". Had one guy I worked with who switched from AF bop to Army linguist. Great at both. he used to copy the dits and dashes on his SQT that we were just supposed to identify. LOL Hey does the rocking ever go away?
    I still raise my hands higher than necessary when I type. Kind of makes it easier to keep a good rhythm when using a typing stick. Actually I also find that a rocking rhythm when I type keeps me from making so many typos when my fingers start typing too much faster than my brain is thinking.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
  2. States Building Homes for Aging Veterans
    By antiquity in forum Veterans
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 01:38 PM
  3. Budget Plan a 'Bitter Pill' for Veterans
    By antiquity in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2002, 04:11 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2002, 10:53 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2001, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •