Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

USA
    USASAFSK 76-77
    Wheelchair use came later. Service connected rating for another issue.
    Getting really great care at the VA these days way different than it was in the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunky View Post
    USA
    USASAFSK 76-77
    Wheelchair use came later. Service connected rating for another issue.
    Getting really great care at the VA these days way different than it was in the early 80's.
    FSK? Korea or Kagneau, Eritrea?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    FSK? Korea or Kagneau, Eritrea?
    South Korea, at the DMZ if I'm not mistaken.

South Korea, United States Army Security Agency Field Station Korea near Pyong Taek.

South Korea, United States Army Security Agency Field Station Korea near Pyong Taek.
    I did a year at Camp Humphreys, about 5k west of Pyongtaek..same place?

my friends i have a question please....how many of you fired a gun against enemy?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I had you up to the K. I was at USAFS-Ausgsburg. ASA changed to INSCOM before I joined. But knowing the ASA song to the music from the Hymn of the Green Berets and the spouse's first assignment after signing up in 1967 was as an ASA MP at Kagnu Station I wasn't sure. I was a Czech/Slovak 98G. You?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Rough time to be in Korea, Bookjunky, I remember the stories.

August 18, 1976 - In what came to be known as the Axe Murder Incident, two US Army officers are brutally murdered and 4 other US personnel injured -- by 30 North Koreans wielding axes and metal pipes -- while attempting to trim a tree in the DMZ.

August 21-September 8 - Operation Paul Bunyan. Some 26 gunships and a Quick Reaction Force of 300 back up 2nd Engineer Bn. members to cut down the tree which was involved in the August 18 incident. Naval Task Force 77.4, led by the USS Midway, is dispatched to the Korean coast. Aircraft from Okinawa, Guam and Idaho are sent to South Korea. One US helicopter is hit by North Korean fire.

July 16, 1977 - North Korea releases a US helicopter pilot after 57 hours of captivity. Bodies of three other crew members killed when their CH-47 Chinook were shot down after straying over NK airspace on the 14th are returned.

More.

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago View Post
    my friends i have a question please....how many of you fired a gun against enemy?

Adi, this thread is for introductions; not being asked about what some may not wish to discuss or still have problems thinking about. Those who have listed specific years or time periods followed by Korea, Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan can be assumed to have fired a gun, dropped a bomb, rigged explosives or collected intelligence so others could do the so or supported those positions. Oh, add Grenada and Panama during the appropriate time periods.

As for friends? When I was active duty you were the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
    2) Which branch/units?
    3) When?
    4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
    5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)
    1. USA
    2. US Army, Infantry
    3. 1967-69
    4. Served in 3rd Bde, 2nd Inf Div. North of Imjin River In Korea (combat zone at the time) but SCI was post service 6/70.
    5. I was never able to access any VA services, I was running out of medical insurance in rehab but still had too much income to get any VA help. Same story post rehab, I was on SSDI and returned to school (grad school) could not access any training funds (I believe because it was grad school). Went to work for 30 years post school bought house which never would have passed VA inspection for loan.

My time in military especially my year on DMZ in "tripwire force" was the best life experience a person could get far surpassing any material assistance I could have received from VA.