Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
    2) Which branch/units?
    3) When?
    4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
    5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
    1ST Reconnaissance BN LA / Scout, 1ST MAR DIV
    1992 - 1996
    Injured after service
    Really enjoyed my time in, there is not much to say now about being a veteran with SCI, life goes on.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

1. USA
    2. US Navy, Attack Squadron 122 (VA-122) Aviation Electronics Tech
    3. 1961-1965
    4. Injured after service.
    5. Squadron flew the AD Skyraider, the last prop driven attack plane flown by the Navy. It had many nicknames Spad being one of them
    Last edited by Spadfan; 11-27-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added Squadron Patch
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

1) In which country's military did you serve? USA
    2) Which branch/units?US Air Force 26Th Supply Squadron/561st Squadron/ 381st Supply Squadron
    3) When? 8/71 to 5/75
    4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?I have moderate to severe lumbar spinal stenosis. Classified by VA as Paraplegic Incomplete.
    5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.
    I am very thankful & proud that I am a Veteran. I have no qualms w/the VA. I think they do an amazingly good job considering the huge Veteran population that they take care of. I don't know what I would do w/o the VA to take care of me.
    It was the best time of my life. My mother told me to stay in & I didn't listen. BOY! was I sorry I got out w/o re-enlisting. Thought I new it all when I was in my 20's. Didn't realize at the time that Momma had more wisdom then me. If I could do it all over again I would. It was an amazing experience. Got to see some other parts of the world. Did some traveling while I was stationed in Germany. Went to several countries in Europe before being discharged a little early before my enlistment was up. I met a lot of nice people & had a ball while I was stationed in Germany. I missed the comraderie when I got out. Still in touch w/an old Army friend & his wife. I met them both on a bus tour to Switzerland when I was stationed in Germany.

1. Alabama Army National Guard 1988-1990, United States Navy 1990-1994, United States Army 1994-1998
    2. 31N, 31U, 32D, 31P, 63T Communications Systems Circuit Controller (U.S. Army), Storekeeper (Supply / Logistics U.S. Navy), U.S. Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer "SAR", Bradley Fighting Vehicle Systems Mechanic, U.S. Army Signal Corp, U.S. Army Ordnance Corp, 3 / 12th Infantry, 1 / 6th Infantry, 1st Armored Division, USS ANTRIM FFG-20
    3. 1988-1998
    4. 70% Service Connected with claims pending that hopefully will put me at the 100% mark.
    5. I've been fighting with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for service connection for my back injuries since learning of them while I was attending school under the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program in 2003. When I got out of the military I was having a lot of foot, ankle, knee and groin pain but didn't equate this to possibly having back problems. I'm trying to find out if there is a way to date an injury or determine when it might have possibly occurred in order to help support my claim for service connection for my back injuries. I'm also wanting to get medical opinions concerning how my service connected Pes Planus (Flat Foot Condition) effects (aggravates) my lumbar spine and other back conditions due to my improper alignment and body mechanics. Any help and / or information about these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I wanted to pass along this VERY INFORMATIVE and HELPFUL sight / messageboard about the VA Claims Process that has helped me immensely if you guys are interested. The URL for the website is: www.vets.yuku.com

Michael.. I recommended someone fron VBN to CareCure. I hope you are the one, and again welcome>

Amy (CVNB)
    Last edited by skippy13; 11-28-2008 at 06:58 AM.

1. Usa
    2.minnesota army national guard 2/136 mech inf
    3. Depolyed june 04 to may 05 in from 97 to 05
    4. Sci happened after i was out on 09-27-07
    5. My old guard unit was outstanding with support and help beyond what anyone could expect the va has not been as helpful losing my medical file and then finding it and denying all claims and giving the runaround as far as my service related stuff goes.
    I am existing right now, I would give anything to live again.

USMC
    non-service connected injury

Logistics was a blast. In retrospect, wish I never got into intelligence.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    1. Usa
    2.minnesota army national guard 2/136 mech inf
    3. Depolyed june 04 to may 05 in from 97 to 05
    4. Sci happened after i was out on 09-27-07
    5. My old guard unit was outstanding with support and help beyond what anyone could expect the va has not been as helpful losing my medical file and then finding it and denying all claims and giving the runaround as far as my service related stuff goes.
    SethO,
    I hope you appealed the denials and just didn't ignore them?

Quote Originally Posted by Annabanana View Post
    1) Australia

2) RAAF (various units)

3) 1990 - 1996

4) My injury was service related, although at first they tried to get out of it. I was competing on one of my horses in a military equine club.

5) I have had great assistance through MCRS (division of VA in Australia), they have looked after me really well. (once you learn how to jump through their hoops that is!)
    I spent some time at RAAF Amberley during Tandem Thrust 97 joint exercises. One of my best tours. Loved Brisbane.

Branch/Units: US Army/ Ranger/ 101st Airborne Division
    When: 1969 to 1971, Vietnam 70-71
    CI: Non service connected, C-5 Incomplete