Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    1. USA
    2. United States Marines
    3.1668-1972
    4.No
    I have had excellent treatment and cooperation at Jefferson Barracks Sic/D unit St. Louis, Mo.
    Welcome home! And thanks for serving during a time when many refused.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    1. USA
    2. United States Marines
    3.1668-1972
    4.No
    I have had excellent treatment and cooperation at Jefferson Barracks Sic/D unit St. Louis, Mo.
    I assume you mean you served 1968-1972? Otherwise that is the longest enlistment known! Regardless, thank you for your service!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I assume you mean you served 1968-1972? Otherwise that is the longest enlistment known! Regardless, thank you for your service!

(KLD)
    USMC-Zoombie Reserves
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The only reason you wouldn't qualify for VA benefits as a SCI-D patient is if you make too much money. Long Beach VA is a good program. I hope you are able to get care there.

pbr

The only reason you wouldn't qualify for VA benefits as a SCI-D patient is if you make too much money. Long Beach VA is a good program. I hope you are able to get care there.

pbr
    Actually that is not correct related to health care (not pension, etc.). Even with a high income, if you have a SCI that results in a "catastrophic disability" you should qualify as a Catagory 4 non-service connected, but you need to work with either an SCI Coordinator (SW) or PVA NSO who knows how to submit the paperwork to get this rating. It is one page and easy to submit and process once it is done. We get that done in one day usually where I work.

(KLD)

1 USA
    2 US Marine Corps, 0331,0323
    3 SCI not SC because I didn't report first injury do have other service connected injuries though
    4 Now having this I feel less of a person kind of like a pos that can't do anything
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each ,military member who has died protecting it

USA
    US Army 71-76, Various
    Spinal Stroke T11 Complete. I'm Category 4 100% Syracuse NY VA
    Service in my day was not today.

Thanks for your service Firemedic82 & Broken1, welcome.

Actually that is not correct related to health care (not pension, etc.). Even with a high income, if you have a SCI that results in a "catastrophic disability" you should qualify as a Catagory 4 non-service connected, but you need to work with either an SCI Coordinator (SW) or PVA NSO who knows how to submit the paperwork to get this rating. It is one page and easy to submit and process once it is done. We get that done in one day usually where I work.

(KLD)
    What svcs are included with Category 4 non-service connected. I worked with a PVA service officer and due to income appeared not to be eligible for anything. I was most interested in the supplemental payments in case we ever needed to enter senior housing. I would also be interested in accessing some sci services through Ann Arbor VA Hospital.

Call the service officer back. Unless your SCI/D is extremely incomplete, you should qualify as Category 4 for medical care (VHA benefits). This includes both inpatient and outpatient care without co-payments, except for meds unrelated to your SCI/D. A SCI/D physician has to sign off on your Category 4 application...it is easy (1 page) but they will need to either examine you or get medical records for you in order to do this.

This has nothing to do with your other veteran's benefits such as pension or compensation (which fall under the VBA division).

Ann Arbor is not a SCI Center (they are a spoke clinic for the Cleveland VA SCI Center, where you should be going for your annual evaluation), but they should have an outpatient SCI clinic. The Social Worker there, according to my sources, can be contacted at:
    (734) 845-3821. This person is also responsible to be sure your eligibility is set up correctly, and that you get referred to Cleveland for your annual evaluation.

(KLD)