Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
2) Which branch/units?
3) When?
4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)
United States

Coast Guard and Army

USCGC Point Stewart, USCGC Active, USCGC Point Turner, Joint Interagency Task Force West, 7th Special Forces Group, First ROK Army (embedded, sort of a reverse Katusa), 82nd Airborne (multiple tours, 44 jumps), US Air Force Europe HQ, 1st Calvary Division (spurs), embedded with Iraqi 3rd Division.

Combat tours in Panama, Balkans, Iraq (multiple). 3 Purple Hearts, one valor medal.

No SCI- Severe TBI (brain damage) with epilepsy, severe and constant vertigo, speech and vision impairments. Direct Combat Injury, vehicle born IED. Severe PTSD from other unpleasantries.

Loved the service. I would have stayed until mandatory retirement if I hadn't had a 100% medical. I always took the odd jobs instead of punching the tickets for quick promotions. Had a few assignments in civilian clothes. The thing I loved most was teaching and mentoring my troops. Saw a lot of places, met a lot of people, and got a bunch of stories, some of which I can tell.

I think I may be on skippy's list - right about that time and on that base I gave a briefing using a sock puppet on April 1st. The Colonel thought it was funny, but my boss was red faced and you could practically see the steam from his ears. And did you know you can salute while "walking the dog" with a yoyo?

Being a category one vet, I get a lot of help. The medical care is outstanding (both VA and Tricare for life) and I've had a lot of help from other organizations like Train a Dog, Save a warrior, The Independence Fund, World Team Sports, and a lot of others.

I think I'll start a thread with contact information for as many organizations that I know of that help vets, may take a few days to do the research. It would be good to let others know where to look for help.