Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
    2) Which branch/units?
    3) When?
    4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
    5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)
    United States

Coast Guard and Army

USCGC Point Stewart, USCGC Active, USCGC Point Turner, Joint Interagency Task Force West, 7th Special Forces Group, First ROK Army (embedded, sort of a reverse Katusa), 82nd Airborne (multiple tours, 44 jumps), US Air Force Europe HQ, 1st Calvary Division (spurs), embedded with Iraqi 3rd Division.

Combat tours in Panama, Balkans, Iraq (multiple). 3 Purple Hearts, one valor medal.

No SCI- Severe TBI (brain damage) with epilepsy, severe and constant vertigo, speech and vision impairments. Direct Combat Injury, vehicle born IED. Severe PTSD from other unpleasantries.

Loved the service. I would have stayed until mandatory retirement if I hadn't had a 100% medical. I always took the odd jobs instead of punching the tickets for quick promotions. Had a few assignments in civilian clothes. The thing I loved most was teaching and mentoring my troops. Saw a lot of places, met a lot of people, and got a bunch of stories, some of which I can tell.

I think I may be on skippy's list - right about that time and on that base I gave a briefing using a sock puppet on April 1st. The Colonel thought it was funny, but my boss was red faced and you could practically see the steam from his ears. And did you know you can salute while "walking the dog" with a yoyo?

Being a category one vet, I get a lot of help. The medical care is outstanding (both VA and Tricare for life) and I've had a lot of help from other organizations like Train a Dog, Save a warrior, The Independence Fund, World Team Sports, and a lot of others.

I think I'll start a thread with contact information for as many organizations that I know of that help vets, may take a few days to do the research. It would be good to let others know where to look for help.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
    2) Which branch/units?
    3) When?
    4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
    5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)
    United States

USN With VFA 125-106, USS Carl Vinson

94-2000

I have not received SCI/D yet. Because sm can be acquired or congenital the VA is trying to push congenital. I applied for VA benefits but been waiting since last March. Same with DDD, chiari and everything else going on, even though with trips to sick bay for falls off birds.

I would have LOVED to have stayed in the Navy. I loved my birds, loved the boat (especially the Vinny). I hate that I hear all the time I wasn't in the real military because I was not Army or Marines and have no boots on in sand experience then on top of that I am between the PG and OIF/OEF. I had to prove myself alot in the Navy because I as a AM (aircraft mech on 18's) and only female in shop so all of the guys thought I couldn't do my job, always coming to my rescue. One time sticks out in my head like a sore thumb lol. I was changing a main tire on one of my birds and was getting ready to lift the new tire up onto landing gear, a PC came up tried to push me out of way to "help", I told him to get off my bird and i put tire up first time (usually took afew times to get it on right to not strip threads). After that they kind of left me alone until the next command lol

SCI/D = spinal cord injury/disease or disorder. It is not something that has to do with VA benefits. It is the disease or condition.

Of course a Chiari malformation is something you are born with (which can get worse as you age), not something caused by or occurring during your military service. Your DDD may be the basis for your claims.

For the purposes of VA pension, the following war-time period would appear to apply to you:

* Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)

Are you working with a PVA NSO??

(KLD)

i am working with the DAV VSO....not sure what a PVA NSO is
    I miss my birds and being able to run! Syrinx's at T2-T6 and T9-T10 prominence of CC at T7-8 DDD at T6-7,T7-7 and T8-9, fusion at C5,6,7, in other words totally screwed up lol

PVA = Paralyzed Veterans of America

NSO = National Service Officer

You will get a lot more help from them on these issues that you will from the DAV, in my experience.

(KLD)

PVA specializes in anything related to SCI/D. DAV is a great organization, but they are huge and when it comes to SCI you need someone who doesn't have a high volume of claims.

Here is where you can find your local PVA NSO.

http://www.pva.org/site/c.ajIRK9NJLc...s_and_NSOs.htm

syrinx, questions

USAF 1982-1986
    Shaw AFB, SC and Sheppard AFB, TX
    49 years old

Non Service Connected / Spinal syrinx.

I am overwhelmed but, I will try to do my best to keep from rambling.

VA Hospital Asheville, NC

HX: C5,6,7 fusion, 2000
    L5, S1 fusion, 2010
    mild scoliosis
    DDD and bone spurs
    Pulmonary embolisms (x2) lower right lobe March 2012 (was told this was due to hormone replacement therapy)

Car accident December 2009, rolled over three times on flat highway.

May 8, I had an MRI due to numbness in my left chest, underarm to hand and back.
    Before the results were back, I emailed PC and advised that left wrist and thumb are tingling and my left arm is heavy.

An email from PC stated: T3-T6 syrinx (benign fluid filled sac) within spinal cord with other abnormalities. (unspecified to me at this time)
    Monday, I was scheduled for MRI w/contrast on my spine for August 20th.
    Today, PC sent email advising she is putting in an order for a brain MRI as well.

I am on tramadol, ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine, alprazolam, citalopram and bupropion.

Now what? lol...
    I am so confused at which direction to go. I am worried about waiting so long to get this MRI but, I realize that it takes a long time to complete. I am scheduled for 4 hour appt just on the spine. Not including the brain MRI.
    I have read about the syrinx and really it is crazy scarey. I do not know the cause as of now. I have not seen or been referred to a neurologist. As a matter of fact, I have only had email conversation with my PC since March when she ordered the original MRI.

Any suggestions from fellow veterans? Reference care and benefits?

Thank you for your service!!
    Jonlyn

1. USA
    2. Army: Military Intelligence, Psy Ops, Civil Affairs. Served in SOCOM units.
    3. 1985 - 1995
    4. Not service connected.
    5. It was an amazing experience.

You need to get linked up with the SCI outpatient (spoke) clinic at your home VA, and get a referral to your VA SCI Center for a comprehensive evaluation. I believe for you that would be at Augusta, GA VAMC. Are you already linked up with a PVA NSO, and have joined the PVA???

KLD

Quote Originally Posted by jonlyn View Post
    USAF 1982-1986
    Shaw AFB, SC and Sheppard AFB, TX
    49 years old

Non Service Connected / Spinal syrinx.

I am overwhelmed but, I will try to do my best to keep from rambling.

VA Hospital Asheville, NC

HX: C5,6,7 fusion, 2000
    L5, S1 fusion, 2010
    mild scoliosis
    DDD and bone spurs
    Pulmonary embolisms (x2) lower right lobe March 2012 (was told this was due to hormone replacement therapy)

Car accident December 2009, rolled over three times on flat highway.

May 8, I had an MRI due to numbness in my left chest, underarm to hand and back.
    Before the results were back, I emailed PC and advised that left wrist and thumb are tingling and my left arm is heavy.

An email from PC stated: T3-T6 syrinx (benign fluid filled sac) within spinal cord with other abnormalities. (unspecified to me at this time)
    Monday, I was scheduled for MRI w/contrast on my spine for August 20th.
    Today, PC sent email advising she is putting in an order for a brain MRI as well.

I am on tramadol, ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine, alprazolam, citalopram and bupropion.

Now what? lol...
    I am so confused at which direction to go. I am worried about waiting so long to get this MRI but, I realize that it takes a long time to complete. I am scheduled for 4 hour appt just on the spine. Not including the brain MRI.
    I have read about the syrinx and really it is crazy scarey. I do not know the cause as of now. I have not seen or been referred to a neurologist. As a matter of fact, I have only had email conversation with my PC since March when she ordered the original MRI.

Any suggestions from fellow veterans? Reference care and benefits?

Thank you for your service!!
    Jonlyn

1. USA
    2. United States Marines
    3.1668-1972
    4.No
    I have had excellent treatment and cooperation at Jefferson Barracks Sic/D unit St. Louis, Mo.