Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I put an ad on Craig's list Saturday...

My brother just replied to a Veterans ad here. I know my brother pretty well and I still wonder if he is capable. He's caring and all, but he is a degenerate punk and I don't doubt this would be a horrible mistake for both parties involved. I'm trying to persuade my mom to not allow him to take this job and as of now she agrees.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

he is a degenerate punk and I don't doubt this would be a horrible mistake for both parties involved.
    Well, that pretty much says it all.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Live in

I'm in need of a live in caregiver and I'll put a add on Graig's List my question should I pay for there food?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    One thing we just recently did that I highly recommend (since we have 4 PCAs) is to change the lock on my mother's door to a combination lock. We can have up to 10 different combinations, so we have a family one, one we give to close friends (like the next door neighbor) and one for each of the PCAs. This way, if we have to let someone go, no one has a key they can copy, and we can easily delete their code. The one we got was from Sledge, has a nice lever type door knob, and costs about $145 at Home Depot. It does have a key as back-up, but only myself and my sister have the keys.

(KLD)
    That is slick! So if there was a time that nobody would be home in the house, would you just lock the deadbolt to not allow any caregiver to have access?

Good luck, rybread.

Hello everyone,
    great timing for this thread, I'm looking for help on the weekends and also have a question regarding Medicare coverage for home health aides. I haven't put up any ads yet but will probably put one up on craigslist very soon, I just don't know what to list as a starting pay? I would only need the person for one hour on Saturday and Sunday nights. It would involve transferring me from my wheelchair into bed and changing out of my clothes. Any suggestions? I occasionally get the help of a friend that's a home health aide from an agency (not the agency I use) and pay her $20 an hour.

Regarding Medicare, I'm currently getting home health aide care as well as nursing care from an agency near where I live. The home health aides come seven days a week, two hours every morning and one hour every evening except for those weekend evenings. The nurse comes once a week to give me a testosterone injection. But my agency says it will not cover any more hours than I already have and I would have to pay out of pocket for them to help me on those weekend evenings. Is anybody familiar with the Medicare guidelines for this and how many hours of aide coverage a person could get covered weekly?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Quadzila@optonline.net; 12-11-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added question
    Dan G. in CT

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzila@optonline.net View Post
    Hello everyone,
    great timing for this thread, I'm looking for help on the weekends and also have a question regarding Medicare coverage for home health aides. I haven't put up any ads yet but will probably put one up on craigslist very soon, I just don't know what to list as a starting pay? I would only need the person for one hour on Saturday and Sunday nights. It would involve transferring me from my wheelchair into bed and changing out of my clothes. Any suggestions? I occasionally get the help of a friend that's a home health aide from an agency (not the agency I use) and pay her $20 an hour.

Regarding Medicare, I'm currently getting home health aide care as well as nursing care from an agency near where I live. The home health aides come seven days a week, two hours every morning and one hour every evening except for those weekend evenings. The nurse comes once a week to give me a testosterone injection. But my agency says it will not cover any more hours than I already have and I would have to pay out of pocket for them to help me on those weekend evenings. Is anybody familiar with the Medicare guidelines for this and how many hours of aide coverage a person could get covered weekly?

Thanks!
    As far as finding a caregiver for one hour, you can pretty much forget about that unless you're going to pay $25 for that hour. I pay my weekend night caregivers $25 for two hours worth of work. During the weeknights I pay $20 a night for two hours worth of work even if some of that time they're just hanging out watching TV with me. I pay for all of that out-of-pocket and it doesn't affect my Medicare or caregiver hours. As far as how many hours you can get depends on a lot of things. It depends on how much you're capable of doing on your own and I think a little bit on how much you're getting for income, but I could be wrong. Good luck finding someone.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Different Lock

This might be a better way to go a far as putting on a combination lock, it's made by Kwikset. Check out the video.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/SmartScan/Default.aspx

Video
    http://www.kwikset.com/Support/SmartScan/Default.aspx

As far as background checks - there are some sites where the caregivers pay for their own background check. One in particular is Care.com I don't know if I'm allowed to post that.. but its just an example. Ask the caregiver if he/she has paid for their own background check somewhere... most are willing to do this on their own these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelo View Post
    As far as background checks - there are some sites where the caregivers pay for their own background check. One in particular is Care.com I don't know if I'm allowed to post that.. but its just an example. Ask the caregiver if he/she has paid for their own background check somewhere... most are willing to do this on their own these days.

Welcome to CC. You're a caregiver.
    Wild guess..... rybread's?
    Glad you joined!!! Mona

Quote Originally Posted by nickelo View Post

Holy cow you posted!!!!!!! And here I thought you'd be too much of a chicken to do that, in your own words of course.
    Mona, she's not my caregiver but a dear online friend that wants a really bad, LOL. Just kidding Mrs. Nickel. Keep on posting.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.