Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I put an ad on Craig's list Saturday...

So I put an ad on Craig's list Saturday...

for a new nighttime caregiver because my caregiver is leaving me because she's exhausted by the time to leavesand I've gotten over 40 responses so far and they keep coming. I've even gotten some friend requests on MySpace for people who just want to hang out. It's crazy what the economy is doing to people, everybody is searching for a second job which is good for me because I can really use the help. Check out what I put in my ad
    Are you looking to make some extra money in this crazy economy? I'm looking for it caregiver for me, I'm a 31 year old C-5/6 male quadriplegic. Job duties would include cooking, cleaning, the occasional driving, helping me with my daily living activities, and basically being my fingers when I need things done. I try to keep things simple and little bit fun.
    Requirements would be dependability, dependability, and a general good nature, and oh yeah, did I mention dependability. Also, dependable transportation and fluent English are a must. Experience would help but is not necessary. I have no problem training people for a relatively simple job.
    The hours are looking to fill would be Monday through Friday evening from 7:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. and I pay $10 per hour
    If this job interests you send me an e-mail with your phone number. If you have any experience, please note that also
    I'm located in North Scottsdale around Scottsdale and cactus roads.
    Check me out on MySpace at www.MySpace.com/rybread6
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/hea/929781659.html
    I rarely get any more than five or 10 responses when I put an ad there. It's great that I have such a wide selection of people to choose from this time. We'll see what I find in the next couple of days.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I know what you mean. We needed to recruit an additional PCA for my mother in early November, and I put an ad in Craig's List on a Friday AM, got our first call before I was off the computer, spent the next 3 days interviewing 9 of the nearly 20 calls we got, and pulled the ad on Monday AM after hiring someone.

The economy certainly seems to be a factor. Most of those who responded had other jobs but were looking for additional hours, or had a spouse out of work and needed more work for that reason. Many were willing to drive quite a distance, although we stuck to people who lived nearby for dependability reasons.

(KLD)

Here is a tip for Craigs List users. Click on Resumes and seach Caregivers. People will post Resumes and tend to be better then what you will pull off the Domestics section.

I put an ad on Craigslist last Thursday, and as usual my cup runneth over with e-mails. The hard part is doing the screening, checking references and then the training. It is still a needle in a haystack.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Invest in a criminal and credit check before hiring.

I also tried to find out what other jobs the person was currently doing. With the economy in the tank, people are trying to pull 24 hour shifts figuring they can catch some ZZZ's after midnight. Right after my injury was when I needed a lot of turning assist. Found my caregiver asleep. She was working two other patients and hadn't slept in 3 days.

Thought I would just ask this here instead of starting a new thread. When you all interview someone you get off of craigslist, do you interview at your own home?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Thought I would just ask this here instead of starting a new thread. When you all interview someone you get off of craigslist, do you interview at your own home?
    Never. I also do not give them our home address until have done at least one initial screening interview in person, which we do at the local coffee shop (Denny's or Coco's usually). If I like them, then I will let them follow me back to the house to complete the interview with my mother and see the house set up.

We sometimes have hired before doing the background check, but always tell the person that their continued employment will be contingent on this. Just last month, the first person we hired had actually started training, and we got back a very negative and suspicious background check. When I confronted her with this, she immediately quit. I would have immediately fired her if she had not. Thank goodness we had done that!

One thing we just recently did that I highly recommend (since we have 4 PCAs) is to change the lock on my mother's door to a combination lock. We can have up to 10 different combinations, so we have a family one, one we give to close friends (like the next door neighbor) and one for each of the PCAs. This way, if we have to let someone go, no one has a key they can copy, and we can easily delete their code. The one we got was from Sledge, has a nice lever type door knob, and costs about $145 at Home Depot. It does have a key as back-up, but only myself and my sister have the keys.

(KLD)

Who do you used for background checks and how much does it cost? I always cool people's name and e-mail address but I don't know if that's enough. So far I've had really good luck with all the people that I've hired. As far as interviews, I don't drive on my own and have very little choice but to have people come to my house. I can't always get someone to be here when I do an interview, but I do carry an "I've fallen and I can't get up" button around my neck that I can get to right away if needed. Then all I have to do is yell police.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

We use a personal friend who is a private investigator (she does a lot of insurance fraud work, primarily) as she subscribes to the necessary on-line data bases for checking past criminal records, driving records, Social Security number accuracy (a common ploy is to use a dead person's number), etc. and past addresses and business information. She charges from $65-100 per check for this, and has done this for a number of our clients who are hiring PCAs.

Since she is a good friend, we have an agreement that I own her a dinner out at a nice restaurant for every check she runs for us, and then we call it even!

(KLD)

Sounds great Ryan! I'm glad you have a group to choose from.
    I hope you get a dependable pca.

I'm on the CDS program & they do back ground cks on all my pca's.
    Same as Ryan I have to do my interviews at my home.
    But if I didn't, I wouldn't.