Thread: Cell therapy for spinal cord injury by neural stem/progenitor cells derived from iPS

Cell therapy for spinal cord injury by neural stem/progenitor cells derived from iPS

I'm browsing through this year's Society for Neuroscience presentations (preparing to spider relevant ones) and came across this:

Source:
    Induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells, which are pluripotent stem cells directly reprogrammed from cultured mouse fibroblast by introducing Oct3/4, Sox2, c-Myc, and Klf4 via retrovirally, have the potential to resolve the ethical issues and immunological rejection associated with embryonic stem (ES) cells. Therefore, iPS might be a clinically useful source for cell replacement therapies. Here, we demonstrated that iPS cells derived neurospheres (Nanog-iPS-NS) produced electrophysiologically functional neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes in vitro. Nanog-iPS-NS transplanted into intact spinal cords could survive and differentiate into all three neural lineages. Furthermore, Nanog-iPS-NS, which were transplanted into the spinal cord 9 days after contusive injury, survived; migrated at least 4 mm away from the site of transplantation; differentiated into all three neural lineages without forming tumors; and promoted locomotor functional recovery, while vehicle control and adult fibroblast transplanted group showed no therapeutic efficacy. These results suggest that iPS-derived neural stem/progenitor cells may be a promising cell source for future transplantation therapy of spinal cord injury. (Source)
    Nice!

Next step: human Nanog-iPS-NS cells.
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 11-25-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Next step: human Nanog-iPS-NS cells.
    Good one, Steven! Unfortunately, the link does not work for me. The results appear to be remarkable though. Who's the author of this study?

Just keep browsing!

Dangit! Thanks for pointing that out, Duran.

This is research taking place in Japan.

Authors: *O. TSUJI, K. MIURA, M. NAKAMURA, K. FUJIYOSHI, N. NAGOSHI, K. KITAMURA, M. MUKAINO, G. KUMAGAI5, Y. OKADA, Y. TOYAMA, S. YAMANAKA, H. OKANO;
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Duran,

The link works now.

But does your SCI science work? What lab other than Japan is on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    But does your SCI science work? What lab other than Japan is on it?
    University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Is this pretty big? Scale 1-10, 10 being real functional return.
    Here's Hoping!

Doug,

This is mainly a proof-of-concept that mouse iPS cells can be used to show recovery. It's on a similar level to early embryonic stem-cell research.

On some levels, this isn't as advanced as Geron's research. On others (i.e., this is more than just remyelination), it's more advanced.

I would rate this at a 4 for now. Using human iPS cells (which I assume is the next level) would be a 6, with combination treatments ranging from 8-9. The combinations should make significant functional recovery possible, although a lot of that will depend on how aggressively you approach rehab.