Thread: Wise? Mouse vs Rat

Wise? Mouse vs Rat

Wise or those in the know.

earlier this year a researcher told me for some physical spinal cord differences it was easier to heal a mouse.

i have forgotten those reasons, are there really any?
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

kickingber
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

earlier this year a researcher told me for some physical spinal cord differences it was easier to heal a mouse.

Excellent question I have wondered this myself.

bump,

I did google and read some, seems like theres a bit of a debate, but couldn't find much to understand why.

Wise help me out.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

A mouse is obviously smaller than a rat. But, the biggest difference is actually quite subtle. Most mice are inbred strains whereas, all but the Fischer rat, is truly inbred. Inbred strains are sometimes strange in that their immune system may not work so well or they have a peculiar inflammatory response or they might be able to heal or regenerate better.

I chose a rat to standardize our impactor model on because we were unable to select a single strain of mice which we could recommend for the model. In the rat, where almost all the strains are outbred, we chose the Long-Evan's hooded rats because they are robust and have strong immune systems, like humans.

I almost worry that if you find that a therapy works in a strain of mice, you need to try the therapy on another strain to make sure that it works on that strain as well. On the other hand, I suppose that one can say that for rats as well. In my opinion, however, I think of rats are being more complex creature and more like human in their immune responses.

Wise.