Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant Pain

Ditto to what Brian said! Despite what anyone else thinks, your family, doctors, whoever, this is NOT all just in your head. This is real pain that needs attention and whatever your doctor can do to help alleviate it. Many, many people go through this sort of thing, where no one around them understands what they're going through. If that happens and you need to feel "grounded" again, just come here. The folks here all have an idea what you're going through and will help you validate what you're up against.

gabby,I had your same problems before my cervical injury .I suffered many,many years before my pain dr. finally suggested the nerve block. The injections helped dramatically for me. I still suffered back pain, but the sciatica disappeared until I needed another one.

Unhappy

Thanks everyone for not thinking that I am crazy. I had the nerve root injection today and it took the edge off the leg pain but my leg is spasming more and very tingly the injection dr said that would be normal for a few days. He also said that he does not understand why they have not done surgery. He was telling me that the disc is putting drastic pressure on my sciatic nerve and that he would not recommend another injection for me. He stated that he was putting that in the report to my dr. I dont know if he will listen to him but we will see. They would not let me leave right away. The nurse said it was due to the weakness in my leg and foot. Between yall and them I do feel a little better emotionally. At least I know I am not crazy. Workers comp is sending me to another dr next week. I guess they want a fourth opinion. They are not helping matters any! They act like I am crazy too! I guess you can not believe the pain unless you go through it. My only choice is to keep dealing with them and the pain and hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank You too every one for the support. I am so glad that I found this site!

So do you have a neurosurgeon/spine surgeon with a plan of attack? And what is it? How do you feel about having major spine surgery?
    Jon

I am not sure how I feel. It is kind of confusing. I dont like the idea of going under the knife but I dont want to feel the way that I am feeling forever either. I do have a spine surgeon. He is the one that has been sending me through all these injections. I had high hopes for the cortizone shots too work so when they did not it was a big frustrating let down. I guess having surgery on my spine is what scares me the most. All surgeons can make a mistake no matter what experience they have and I would have to be the person to live with that mistake! I am still hoping that it is not coming to that! I am still trying to keep my life as normal as possible for my family. I know going through surgery will be just as hard on them especially with everything that I do. My grandmother lives with us and I take care of her.She has alzheimers, congestive heart failure and her kidneys are failing. Just this week I finally hired a cna to come in and help her with her showers because I just can not get her in and out of the shower right now but I still take care of everything else. These things are a big concern with me because she does not understand what is going on with me. I know I have to take care of me too but with 4 kids a husband and my grandmother I know how hard it will be on my husband and the kids. My husband says my biggest problem is doing for everyone else. He says I need too slow down some and do whats best for me. The problem with that is he just does not realize what would happen if i did that! i guess I will find out all my options when I go back too see him. I just know the pain that I am going through every day is just way too much for me too handle.

Unhappy

Hi all! Dr scheduled me for surgery today. He says it is a neccessity because my disc is pushing on my sciatic nerve to the point that the nerve is staying inflamed. He is getting very worried because my leg is going numb several times a day and when it is not numd it feels like there are needles poking it all over at the same time. I am not sure how i feel about this. Has anyone had a L5/S, Hemi facetectomy, Fusion, instrumentation done before and if so did it help or make things worse? I am in extreme pain now and I am not sure how much more I can take before I lose my mind. But I am worried that this will cause even more pain. Any imformation you can give me will be appreciated. Thank You!

Hi Gabby, I seem to be in the same boat as you except for the meds issue. Me and my doc spent a lot of time experimenting with different meds to find a combo that would make the pain a little more tolerable. My surgeon too had sent me for a series of injections into my spine which did a whole bunch of nothing. I just went for some neuro testing in my right leg to determine at what level I am at. The doc that performed this testing agreed with me about the issues I was "complaining" about and said that surgery should be given some serious thought. I have yet to see my surgeon but it should be happening soon I hope. I too hope that my life has not come to accepting the fact that this is "it" for me and there is nothing that can be done. My biggest problem has been that it has taken soooooooo long to get any testing (MRI, CT, NEURO TESTING, ETC) done that I am afraid the damage might be permanent. Please keep us posted as to the outcome of your surgery and feel free to PM me. I would like to speak with you a bit more in depth as to yours and my situations for comparison. By any chance are you in Canada? Saskatchewan to be more specific??? As for the pain meds, see another doc and ask. You cannot possibly be seen as drug seeking when you are in so much pain and are slated for spinal surgery. You deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
    BigBossMan Wuz Here.....

gabby - yes, I have experience with the kind of surgery he is proposing. My experience was positive, it relieved the compression on the spinal cord and the nerve roots. What other choice do you have? Of course the surgery has risks, but the alternative is to stay in this kind of pain which is maddening. Nobody wants to have surgery, but if there is good evidence that it is compressing the nerve and there is a risk of loss of function of the nerve, (which was my case too) , I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    gabby - yes, I have experience with the kind of surgery he is proposing. My experience was positive, it relieved the compression on the spinal cord and the nerve roots. What other choice do you have? Of course the surgery has risks, but the alternative is to stay in this kind of pain which is maddening. Nobody wants to have surgery, but if there is good evidence that it is compressing the nerve and there is a risk of loss of function of the nerve, (which was my case too) , I would do it.
    gabby,

Do you have Clonus in when the doctor flex/extends your feet. Clonus means some sort of spinal cord injury like jon says compression of the nerve root(s). Nobody wants to have surgery but surgeries now a days are very efficient. Yes, there will always be risks whenever you are put under and that the surgery won't go as planned but that's highly remarkable. You also don't want to live in pain all of your life. The longer the nerve is being "pinched" the permanent the damage. It's like a garden hose that has a kink in it. If you don't fix the kink, the hose is damaged and water can't flow threw it anymore. Good luck. Injections have been known to work for days up to years. But there's risks in that if the doctor hits a nerve. You have to way the good w/the bad. Good luck to you!
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

i have had a procedure called a rizotomy which is a nerve root burn block and it worked good for about 5yrs then it grew back and so did the pain. I have pretty much the same problem as u do but i have 3 bulging disks and they are piching the sciatic nerve and i take oxycontin for the pain and they are the only one that has worked for me for the pain.