Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the peristeen anal irrigation by coloplast?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone use the peristeen anal irrigation by coloplast?

I had a different thread on here about my husbands Bowel accidents that consistantly happen ever to 10 days no matter what he tries to stop it, nothing has worked.
    He said this patteren is similar to before his sci but now you can see how this is a problem.
    Someone wrote back to me about this device and I am wondering if anyone else has used it and what they think???

I have LMN bowel so I looked this device up. It may not be available in the USA. Coloplast makes nice products but if they can't get FDA approval to sell it here they stick to the international markets.

I'd be interested to know too and I'll watch this thread.

cmoore
    What is LMN bowel?

It is still quite new in England, but I know people who are trying it and have said they are having accidents, dont know if the accidents might stop after using it for a longer period of time

Lower Motor Neuron. It's a flaccid bowel with no ability to hold anything in. Low thoracic and lumbar paras can get it depending on the part of the spinal cord damaged. My only way to manage is to eat foods that give me hard stool , take fibercon and pray for no accidents after I get dressed.

Coloplasts' UK website also has something that looks like what I can only describe as a Tampon for the rectum. My only guess is that you insert it and it opens up like an upside down umbrella to hold in stool. Again, not available in the USA.

I use it, I never have had an accident since I started. Believe me, it is the best thing, 10 minutes, no pills or anything and no spesial diett. It is very expencive though, I am 1 of 5 who is getting it for free to see how it is working, because Coloplast expect the Norwegian healtcare to pay for it, just like they pay for caths and other equipment.

The "tampon" is not working for accidents, it is only used for not getting mucous in your pants after you have taken care of your bowel. I have tried it for accidents before I started with the irrigation.
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 11-23-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Here's a link for how it's used if anyone in the US can get their hands on one.

http://www.spinalistips.se/tips-bowe...on-en-681.html

The "tampon" for preventing mucous leaks would not be such a bad thing either.

This is America. Why can't I have rectal irrigators and butt tampons?

Must convince President Obama to invade Europe

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Here's a link for how it's used if anyone in the US can get their hands on one.

http://www.spinalistips.se/tips-bowe...on-en-681.html

The "tampon" for preventing mucous leaks would not be such a bad thing either.

This is America. Why can't I have rectal irrigators and butt tampons?

Must convince President Obama to invade Europe
    Then you have to convince him for the ADA law too, because we can use that
    TH 12, 43 years post

I propose the following trade:

10,000 American Lawyers and Politicians
    for an equal number of Norway's bowel program products.
    No give backs.

Seriously though, I may call Coloplast's US division and ask if there is a way to obtain these products here.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread from the original poster. Sorry.

This is not yet available in the USA, and it would be illegal for anyone to sell or try to import this into the USA as it is classified as a medical device. FDA testing for long term safety of medical devices is an expensive process. It has been used for several years in various countries in Europe.

(KLD)