Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Milk

I saw this this last week with the Cinema Society. It opens locally this next week.

It is the story of Harvey Milk (see also the documentary "The Life and Times of Harvey Milk"), who was the first openly gay person in the USA elected to public office. He ran several times in the 1970s for several offices before being elected to the board of supervisors in San Francisco. He was an activist in the early days of The Castro there and also worked for gay rights throughout the state of CA. He was murdered in a sensational assassination, along with San Francisco mayor George Moscone, by another supervisor, Dan White, who used the infamous "Twinkie defense" to get off with only 5 years in prison.

Sean Penn is amazing as Harvey Milk, and should get an Oscar nod for his performance. James Franco is also good, as is Emile Hirsch, and Josh Brolin looks like he is channeling Dan White he is so good. Directed by Gus Van Sant.

See this film.

(KLD)

The documentary I found on Netflix is called "The Times of Harvey Milk" 1984. The new movie "Milk" looks good, it's release date is unknown.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Just a footnote, a satisfying one to me; Dan White killed himself eight years after the assassinations he was so lightly sentenced for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_White
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 11-23-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wiki link
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I will gladly see this one, too.

Milk opens here on Wednesday 11/26. It will be out before Christmas most places to meet the Oscar deadlines.

(KLD)

My partner and I saw this movie tonight and would highly recommended it! Unfortunately, we live in "the bible belt" so the major theatres have not been playing it around here. There's a historic theatre in town that plays "controversial" movies, so we went to see it there. It's a quality film!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    My partner and I saw this movie tonight and would highly recommended it! Unfortunately, we live in "the bible belt" so the major theatres have not been playing it around here. There's a historic theatre in town that plays "controversial" movies, so we went to see it there. It's a quality film!
    I so what so see this movie, and Frost/Nixon. It's sad this is considered controversial where you are. Get over it "bible belt" and let the people pick what they want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie_A View Post
    I so what so see this movie, and Frost/Nixon. It's sad this is considered controversial where you are. Get over it "bible belt" and let the people pick what they want to see.
    Natalie For President!!!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Noah and I saw Milk on Dec. 26th in Portland. It was gratifying to see a large crowd. This film is excellent in plot and production. I agree with KLD, Sean Penn deserves a nomination for Best Actor.

I am a San Francisco native so I know the background. It is an intriguing story about civil rights. It also pinpoints the genesis of religious fundamentalism in American politics.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

I and my cousin went to see this movie thursday night, its really good. I love when Emile Hirsch (Cleve) appears, I was like hey thats Jay from "lords of the dogtown". And Sean Penn should get the oscar for his performance.