Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I can't STAND this pain

hi what is dmso i used to work with horses before i got my injury would be interested to know what it is

hi have you tried a craniaal osteopath rather than a chiropractor

I can commiserate with you about the frustrations of being stereotype and not listened to. Not being able to see any relief in sight can really make your pain worse, and THAT is the only thing "in your head". Living with the dread of being in pain 24/7 can make you feel hopeless. I had to endure the "protocols" as well, but have finally found a pain management Dr. who is compassionate, and is not demeaning. (I had to switch from my 1st Dr. because every time I left his office, I felt worse, emotionally because he would say things that were totally uncalled for). Do what is right for you. I have found that a combination of things has finally made my pain more tolerable. I DO take narcotics on a daily basis, (I monitor myself VERY carefully. My body has become dependent on them, been on them for 1 1/2 yrs., but I am not an addict- meaning I do not allow myself to take more than 3/day, or even a stronger dose, which my Dr. has suggested, because my pain level is still up there) Also a TENS unit helps tremendously. Unfortunately, my ins. doesn't cover them, so I am in the process of finding a used one which would be more affordable. These in conjunction with specific stretching/exercises a few times a day has helped me have a much better quality of life.
    Basically, I hope you can "tough it out" until you find someone who will listen and treat your pain with dignity, so you can enjoy your life again, even if it may not ever be the same as it was before your injury. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. If you have to have a referral to a pain management Dr., your regular physician should have no problem finding one for you in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    hi what is dmso i used to work with horses before i got my injury would be interested to know what it is
    Just from memory, so I could be quite wrong....

DMSO is dimethylsulfoxide. It is a solvent. It is used to aid chemicals/medicines added to it to be carried through the skin and also into the bloodstream. It gives the breath a distinctive garlic odor. It was very popular in the 1970's and 80's and used by many people who claimed it helped their joints move better.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I have tried everything. Nothing has helped. Pains just kept, and keep, getting worse. I can barely use my arms because of the upper back pains and scapulas rubbing bones problem (I'm C-5, and unable to do most ADLs now.) I can barely eat because of the abdominal pains.
    Alan, did you have pain immediately after your accident? Other than a surgical site, stitches, etc? My neuro pain didn't start for a few weeks until my right hand started to contract. Then that arm felt like ice needles were being poked in it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

They started a month after the injury, and intensify with time (still do.) I had no sensation of anything below the injury level before that - like paralyzed people are supposed to be. "Doctors" didn't believe I had pain, starting at rehab, so I didn't get along well there.

As badly as my neck bones were broken and smashed, I never had pain in my neck from the injury.

I'm eating more at the moment, but it's still all forced.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I still hope to fall asleep and not wake up, to finally end this torture.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.