Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't STAND this pain

Yes, I do know what you mean and agree with you. I try to limit them without being too stoical.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Brian and Quadvet,
    I am conflictive on the narcotic point. I have an on going love/hate with narcs over my injury. I struggle so hard not to take them, but there I times that I function better and can exercise better with them. I can even participate with the family better if I am less in pain -
    it is an annoying conflict that I guess I will be debating years from now too......jon
    Yes, Jon, narcotics can be a lifesaver for breakthrough pain or what you mention. It's when they are taken to keep from hurting from not having the drug rather than treating a real pain that they become a problem for me. Side effects can make things worse, especially when taken 24/7, at least in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Yes, Jon, narcotics can be a lifesaver for breakthrough pain or what you mention. It's when they are taken to keep from hurting from not having the drug rather than treating a real pain that they become a problem for me. Side effects can make things worse, especially when taken 24/7, at least in my experience.
    Narcotics nearly ruined my marriage, job, and life. My mind was always in a fog. I had problems remembering conversation during the day and even had problems remembering hours during the day. When you first take them the effects are pain relief, and euphoria along with other effects. After awhile you need more of the drug just to feel that way and eventually you never feel the way you did when you took it for the first time. I have found that they do more harm than good. I rather be in pain with a clear mind than a walking zombie. And then when you decide to take the drug away, you go through horrible withdrawls. By the way, I'm sure you know but stopping cold turkey can kill you. If you stop a medication work with your doctor to gradually stop.
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

I've tried everything out there, and still looking for something that helps after 27.5 years of no life because of always worsening pains.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

sorry for your pain. infrared heat massage really helped with my pain. and dmso, but I cant get ether right now. the dmso must be diluted. it is heat and it promotes healing. I used to use it on my horses. im looking into an infrared massager for myself. I think it really helped when I got it in rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I've tried everything out there, and still looking for something that helps after 27.5 years of no life because of always worsening pains.
    Have you tried physical therapy, chiropractic care, a tens unit, heat/cold, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, etc...
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Aylalei View Post
    I fell from the cab of my Volvo road tractor. I was on the first step. I reported it to my safety manager, and I continued to work. I kept hoping what was wrong would just go away...like a sprain or something, but it just got worse. After a couple of months of NSAIDS and zanaflex, and the like...I'm worse.
    The MRI said protruding disc at L4-5, and suspicious for endplate fracture at T11. I hurt. I hurt.
    If I say I hurt, one doc acts like I shouldn't cos I feel painful points when she presses on the right side of my spine. She says the disc is protruding on the left side.
    One doc says she understands why I hurt after reading the MRI, but she can only give me ultram cos she's really a PA.
    The ER doc gave me 20 vicodin and told me to take 1 or 2. I tried to take 2 one night, and it made me sick. They're 5 mg, I think. That was on the 11th, and I took the last one this morning.
    I HURT, and nobody is listening to me! I went to the doctor today and she gave me a shot of toradol (didn't help) and a Rx for Mobic.
    I have an appointment for a spine and pain clinic on Dec 4th. I can't keep going back to the ER since they're really not supposed to just write a pain script.
    WHAT am I supposed to do? I'd rate my pain when I first wake at 9. It does get better after about 2 hours. If I sweep the kitchen floor, I get horrendous back spasms. Do I have a LEGAL right to pain management? I can understand trying injections and NON-narcotic protocols, but between NOW and DEC 4TH, I'll be sobbing EVERY morning just like the last two mornings!
    I had such powerful, painful cramps in my lower leg, but I'm not sure, if that's from my back.
    Do I have a reason to be hurting or is this mostly in my head? I am a big baby with pain, but I'm not usually a cry-baby.
    HELP?
    thanks,
    Aylalei
    My heart goes out to you. I very well know what it's like to be in pain. I live it every day. Years ago I went thru a two week in-patient pain mgt program & I learned believe it or that pain medication can cause pain. I guess it can irritate nerve endings or something. When I first heard that in the program I thought I was hearing things as pain medicine is suppose to get rid of pain not cause it. Hope you get some relief real soon.

I totally understand what you are going through. I am going through something sismilar but with no pain meds and it is very hard. Just remember that you are not alone! My heart goes out too you! Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by gabby70 View Post
    I totally understand what you are going through. I am going through something sismilar but with no pain meds and it is very hard. Just remember that you are not alone! My heart goes out too you! Hang in there!
    We all understand what you're going through. Everyone has burdons to bear in their lives. Ours is pain. Keep on trying w/your physician to get that right combination and have faith that things will work out in the end. Maybe not the way you want but it will work out. God bless!
    Brian

Serenity Prayer

Aylalei,

I understand you are so frustrated trying to manage your pain. Most of us are going through the same thing. You begin to wonder if anything will ever help but you can't give up. I'm in the healthcare profession and have seen extra ordinary things happen. Stroke patients making process 2+ year post CVA, Traumatic Brain Injuried patients making remarkable progress when the doctors said they would have to be institutionized for the rest of their lives. My doctors told me I would never walk again and I'm walking. I can't give you advise about how to get rid of your pain. Sometimes stress can cause increased pain but having hope and never giving up goes along way in building our character. God takes things away from us sometimes but he always gives you something back. Whether that be not taking things for granted, building our strength, strengthening our relationships, realizing that we can help people or strengthening our relationship with God. I will pray for you. Never forget though that you are a great person in God's eyes. Good luck my friend!
    Brian

Serenity Prayer