Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't STAND this pain

I can't STAND this pain

I fell from the cab of my Volvo road tractor. I was on the first step. I reported it to my safety manager, and I continued to work. I kept hoping what was wrong would just go away...like a sprain or something, but it just got worse. After a couple of months of NSAIDS and zanaflex, and the like...I'm worse.
    The MRI said protruding disc at L4-5, and suspicious for endplate fracture at T11. I hurt. I hurt.
    If I say I hurt, one doc acts like I shouldn't cos I feel painful points when she presses on the right side of my spine. She says the disc is protruding on the left side.
    One doc says she understands why I hurt after reading the MRI, but she can only give me ultram cos she's really a PA.
    The ER doc gave me 20 vicodin and told me to take 1 or 2. I tried to take 2 one night, and it made me sick. They're 5 mg, I think. That was on the 11th, and I took the last one this morning.
    I HURT, and nobody is listening to me! I went to the doctor today and she gave me a shot of toradol (didn't help) and a Rx for Mobic.
    I have an appointment for a spine and pain clinic on Dec 4th. I can't keep going back to the ER since they're really not supposed to just write a pain script.
    WHAT am I supposed to do? I'd rate my pain when I first wake at 9. It does get better after about 2 hours. If I sweep the kitchen floor, I get horrendous back spasms. Do I have a LEGAL right to pain management? I can understand trying injections and NON-narcotic protocols, but between NOW and DEC 4TH, I'll be sobbing EVERY morning just like the last two mornings!
    I had such powerful, painful cramps in my lower leg, but I'm not sure, if that's from my back.
    Do I have a reason to be hurting or is this mostly in my head? I am a big baby with pain, but I'm not usually a cry-baby.
    HELP?
    thanks,
    Aylalei

Quote Originally Posted by Aylalei View Post
    I fell from the cab of my Volvo road tractor. I was on the first step. I reported it to my safety manager, and I continued to work. I kept hoping what was wrong would just go away...like a sprain or something, but it just got worse. After a couple of months of NSAIDS and zanaflex, and the like...I'm worse.
    The MRI said protruding disc at L4-5, and suspicious for endplate fracture at T11. I hurt. I hurt.
    If I say I hurt, one doc acts like I shouldn't cos I feel painful points when she presses on the right side of my spine. She says the disc is protruding on the left side.
    One doc says she understands why I hurt after reading the MRI, but she can only give me ultram cos she's really a PA.
    The ER doc gave me 20 vicodin and told me to take 1 or 2. I tried to take 2 one night, and it made me sick. They're 5 mg, I think. That was on the 11th, and I took the last one this morning.
    I HURT, and nobody is listening to me! I went to the doctor today and she gave me a shot of toradol (didn't help) and a Rx for Mobic.
    I have an appointment for a spine and pain clinic on Dec 4th. I can't keep going back to the ER since they're really not supposed to just write a pain script.
    WHAT am I supposed to do? I'd rate my pain when I first wake at 9. It does get better after about 2 hours. If I sweep the kitchen floor, I get horrendous back spasms. Do I have a LEGAL right to pain management? I can understand trying injections and NON-narcotic protocols, but between NOW and DEC 4TH, I'll be sobbing EVERY morning just like the last two mornings!
    I had such powerful, painful cramps in my lower leg, but I'm not sure, if that's from my back.
    Do I have a reason to be hurting or is this mostly in my head? I am a big baby with pain, but I'm not usually a cry-baby.
    HELP?
    thanks,
    Aylalei

I used to have pain which was a 9 of the pain scale. I would cry for 4-6 hours everyday. I tried most of the opiates but nothing really worked. I asked my physiatrist and she told me that 90%+ of her patients use Marijuana for pain. I tried it and wow did it work better than other pain killer I tried before. You can even eat it in brownies or cookies and it will last from 2-6 hours. Let me know if you want any recipes.

Um, I appreciate it, but...

I appreciate the advice, but in my state weed is illegal, I have a CDL so it's not something I'd consider, and I really just want a doctor to manage my pain.

There is a serious pill problem in my area so when someone like me NEEDS medication, I'm just stereotyped in with the rest. I need to know HOW to get the doctor to LISTEN to me.

::sigh::

Sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can be challenging to treat. You might try to find a physiatrist (rehab doctor) who has experience with spinal injuries to assess your situation.

I can seriously understand what chronic pain is. Have you tried other alternative treatments such as chiropractic care, physical therapy, massage therapy, accupunture, a tens unit, heat/cold, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, relaxation techniques and such. I don't think the pain is in your head. Pain is relative to whomever is experiencing it. Please don't get hooked on narcotics. I have found that narcotics actually decrease your tolerance to pain. Good luck and God bless!
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

No truer words spoken, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdvaneven
    Please don't get hooked on narcotics. I have found that narcotics actually decrease your tolerance to pain.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    No truer words spoken, thank you!
    We all make mistakes and speaking from experience that was one of my mistakes. Thank God I have gotten off of narcotics. I'm still in pain but I can think clear and actually participate in my families activities rather than being a zombie upstairs on my bed.
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

I'm sorry you're hurting Aylalei.
    My best luck is with my primary Dr. that took care of me before sci.
    I wish you good luck. Keep telling them you hurt until someone listend.

Brian and Quadvet,
    I am conflictive on the narcotic point. I have an on going love/hate with narcs over my injury. I struggle so hard not to take them, but there I times that I function better and can exercise better with them. I can even participate with the family better if I am less in pain -
    it is an annoying conflict that I guess I will be debating years from now too......jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Brian and Quadvet,
    I am conflictive on the narcotic point. I have an on going love/hate with narcs over my injury. I struggle so hard not to take them, but there I times that I function better and can exercise better with them. I can even participate with the family better if I am less in pain -
    it is an annoying conflict that I guess I will be debating years from now too......jon
    I can see your point. I don't necessary think that one must never take narcotics. It's the dosage and frequency of taking the narcotic medications. The more you take, the less your tolerance to pain you become. If all your body knows is narcotics, you will never know what your true pain is supposed to feel. Do you know what I mean?
    Brian

Serenity Prayer