Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When and How to Apply for Medicare

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Maybe his was a special case. He may have gotten back pay for those months he had to wait to get approved which would have backed his date up also.

I had my accident Sept 05 Got my first check April 06. Just got on medicare March 08. It states it specifically on the website somewhere. Later when I'm really bored I might look it up for you.
    Addiesue is correct. You are eligible for medicare when you have received SSDI for 24 months. Not from the date that you became disabled because there is a 5 full month waiting period before you are eligible for benefits. Check here.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie View Post
    Addiesue is correct. You are eligible for medicare when you have received SSDI for 24 months. Not from the date that you became disabled because there is a 5 full month waiting period before you are eligible for benefits. Check here.
    Damn, that sucks! I forgot about the waiting period. They can chop your head off in a million different ways can't they? This means I won't be eligible for another year. I was hoping I only had to wait seven more months.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Ya'll are right, I just assumed that if you are determined to be disabled at some earlier date, by Social Security, that you received back pay to that date. Are you saying you could be deemed disabled as of a certain date, by Social Security, but not receive payment starting from the conclusion of the five month wait? That is probably VERY poorly worded, but hopefully you can follow.

Like I said, it took 2 1/2 years to get through the disability process, once he was finally awarded they gave him a date of disability, since it had taken so long he had already racked up the five month wait period and the two year wait period for Medicare. I figured that it was pretty common for the process to take time (hopefully not as long as it took for us) and therefore lots of people were getting back pay because their effective date of disability for Social Security was some time back.

So, I was just trying to clarify that some people may already have credit for "time served" if getting disability approved took a while.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    When you have been receiving a SSDI check for 2 years you automatically get it. Papers will come in the mail and you won't have to sign up. You do have to decide if you want part B or not which it sounds like you will. If your check is low make sure you check into receiving extra help. It's called QMB. Do a google search or search on Medicare website.

hello there addiesue i have a question ive been getting ssdi for 24 months and recently i just got a letter from social security and they send me a packet so that i can read and pick i wanted part b or not what does that actually mean, and one more question they also said that it also covers dme equipment can you give me any advice thanks alot

Part A which is automatic and free is basically hospitalization. Part B is optional and costs about $96 per month which they will take directly from your SSDI. Part B is for doctor visits and dme and catheters, etc. Unless you have a very unusual circumstance, you need Part B. If you turn it down now and want it later, they will charge you even more for it.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread with advice, answers, and additional questions!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem