Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New member and new injury

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    I feel like I'm floundering around out here. I'm told the first year to 18 months is the best chance for some kind of recovery, but being a complete injury I felt it was kinda like "here's your wheelchair, get good in it."

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.
    That's exactly how I feel about my son's treatment at this moment. He is C6/7 incomplete and he got discharged from VA San Diego in Nov 2008. We live in Oregon and they just have the SCI clinic. VA San Diego ordered the exercise equipments for him but none of them has showed up yet. We called and left the message 4 weeks ago for the PT who ordered the equipments and we have not heard from them.
    We have bad weather for 2 weeks and we can not drive our son to therapy. It would be very nice if he has some these equipements with in reach.

Oops, that was a wild one.
    Last edited by quadvet; 01-03-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Hey welcome, tons of great information here. Dont be shy to ask any questions, someone will definitely have an answer for you.

This site can be addictive, in a good way.

6gun

Are you certain of the "complete" diagnosis? Seems a lot of people, my son included, were told they were completes only to find out later that they weren't. Don't lose hope because of one word.

My son is an L1, one thing that has really helped is strengthening his upper body to compensate for the lower body. Sounds overly simplistic, but in the months after his injury he didn't have the upper body strength to do squat. Getting in and out of the car took a huge effort and help from someone. Now with strong arms, he pops in and out of the car with ease. That is just one of more than a dozen examples I could give you. Things have become a lot easier in the past two years just in his learning how to move differently.

Stay strong. We're all with you.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    6gun

Are you certain of the "complete" diagnosis? Seems a lot of people, my son included, were told they were completes only to find out later that they weren't. Don't lose hope because of one word.

My son is an L1, one thing that has really helped is strengthening his upper body to compensate for the lower body. Sounds overly simplistic, but in the months after his injury he didn't have the upper body strength to do squat. Getting in and out of the car took a huge effort and help from someone. Now with strong arms, he pops in and out of the car with ease. That is just one of more than a dozen examples I could give you. Things have become a lot easier in the past two years just in his learning how to move differently.

Stay strong. We're all with you.
    It's pretty much complete at this point. No feeling or movement, no spacticity and legs are flacid. In time I hope to get something back and I will have to wait and see.

I guess I was fortunate because at the time of injury I was in pretty good shape. Since the accident my upper body strength has improved. I recently joined the local YMCA because they are pretty accessable and have some good gym equipment and an arm bike thing for cardio.

But you are correct...as I become stronger, things get easier. Also as the legs shrink it becomes easier to move them around in transfers.

Keeping the faith up and not giving up hope that there will be a medical breakthrough in our lifetimes that will get us all out of the chair. I know I am fortunate to still be in this world and that things could have been worse. I am thankful for what I do have and will try to concentrate on that.

Thank you for your service,

I am guessing your in Ft. Campbell. I spent alot of time there as I had a lot of friends stationed there and loved to visit. Stay strong as I am sure that you are.

TMAZ

Thanks for serving our country! Sorry you were injured.
    Welcome to CC! Wishing you alot of return.

I have a complete injury at T7. It happened about 3 years ago.
    No change in function or feeling.
    I know it is hard and takes time to get used to.
    I wish you the best.
    Rich