Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New member and new injury

sorry to meet you, but shit. ...effin helicopters....no crash landings, just crash....you're in the right place now, welcome

Welcome to Carecure.

Thank you for your service to our country.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Welcome to CC, and thank you for your service. As has been mentioned already, there are lots of wonderful people here, and lots of people able to answer questions you might have.

6Gun, Gotta ditto so many others. Welcome (unfortunatly) keep in contact daily, and Thank You for your committment and service.
    Dave
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Those are great rehab places. Will you be folowed by Tampa or Memphis VA???
    Of couse I think Houston is the best but totally biased.Each VA is a bit different.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Those are great rehab places. Will you be folowed by Tampa or Memphis VA???
    Of couse I think Houston is the best but totally biased.Each VA is a bit different.
    CWO
    Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

I feel like I'm floundering around out here. I'm told the first year to 18 months is the best chance for some kind of recovery, but being a complete injury I felt it was kinda like "here's your wheelchair, get good in it."

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.

[quote=6GunCobra;975580]Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

I feel like I'm floundering around out here. I'm told the first year to 18 months is the best chance for some kind of recovery, but being a complete injury I felt it was kinda like "here's your wheelchair, get good in it."

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.[/quote
    6GunCobra,
    If you feel like your floundering around out here ever thought about seeing if you could go to say the Sheperd Center in Atlanta Georgia or Craig Hospital in Englewood Colorado or Rehab Institute of Chicago or the great rehab center in New Jersey which the name of it escapes me at this time.
    May be if you asked the VA for more therapy since your service connected they would be willing to pick up the tab for more therapy. It will set the tone for what the rest of your life will be like.The more you do now since your a new injury the better your life will be in the future.
    GOOD LUCK ! Keep us all posted please & let us know how your doing as we all care about you here at Care Cure !

Regards,
    Bob
    Fellow CC Member,Veteran & Fellow Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.
    6GunCobra,
    The name of the rehab center in New Jersey is Kessler Rehabilitation Institute.
    Bob

Welome to CC I apologize I missed your post on the first spin. My injury is almost 18 mos, I still feel like I'm floundering a lot. My body seems as if it's still changing constantly, some good, some not so much. Keep on pushing forward, we gotta do what we getta do.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

I know the nurse at the Murfreesboro VA SCI clinic.

Neither that location or Nashville is a VA SCI Center. They have support clinics, but they do not have the expertise to provide you will the specialty care such as custom equipment orders, SCI-specialty surgeries or other complex care. Your designated SCI Center from that area would be Memphis, although you can choose to go to any of the 22 VA SCI Centers. Check out our new Veteran's Forum for much more information about this and your benefits and entitlements.

(KLD)