Thread: I Have Severe and crazy chronic pain. It is driving ME Crazy. Has Anybody tried?

I Have Severe and crazy chronic pain. It is driving ME Crazy. Has Anybody tried?

"TEGRETOL" generic name is carbamazepine.
    Please leave any comments and suggestions. I have horrible pain mid thoracic to low back and ribs. My injury is level c4-c5. No pain medication helps me. I take oxycodone 80mg and i get 20 % relief. Perc dont work at all. Please if anybody has a drug that helped them with their severe pain i would really appreciate your sharing that info with me. thank you so uch and i hope to hear some feed backs thank you all

Well, I'm no nurse/doc, but it makes sense...Neurontin (which is an anti-seizure med) is commonly used, so why wouldn't another anti-seizure med. like Tegretol be effective? Have you tried Neurontin/Gabapentin? Also, I recently started Klonapine and this really seems to help. Another thing I've tried--and has been very effective--is a TENS unit. Good luck...I get that CRAZY feeling too...like I'm gonna lose my mind if I don't get some relief...but if it's any consolation, I've found that the pain seems to wax and wane more now than it used to...so I do get some occasional relief. How long since your injury?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I tried Tegretol several years back but it didn't work for me. I don't remember if it had any wierd side effects are not, but I stopped taking it a long time ago. Give it a shot, it might work for you.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

are you seeing a Pain Management doc? Does a certain activity precede the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazycreation23 View Post
    Please leave any comments and suggestions. I have horrible pain mid thoracic to low back and ribs. My injury is level c4-c5. No pain medication helps me. I take oxycodone 80mg and i get 20 % relief. Perc dont work at all. Please if anybody has a drug that helped them with their severe pain i would really appreciate your sharing that info with me. thank you so uch and i hope to hear some feed backs thank you all
    Narcotics aren't known for being effective for neuropathic pain, along with other traditional pain meds. Basically, when the nerves themselves are the source of the pain, you need to try to calm the nerve signals. That's why something like Tegretol is sometimes used, even though it wasn't designed as a pain med. With neuropathic pain, the rules are changed and it takes a different approach. There's a fair bit on this forum about experiences people have had with it, so you might try doing a quick search, using both Tegretol and carbamazepine as keywords for separate searches.

Make sure you have a doctor who is well-experience with neuropathic pain, preferably from SCI as a cause.
    Last edited by David Berg; 11-21-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    Well, I'm no nurse/doc, but it makes sense...Neurontin (which is an anti-seizure med) is commonly used, so why wouldn't another anti-seizure med. like Tegretol be effective? Have you tried Neurontin/Gabapentin? Also, I recently started Klonapine and this really seems to help. Another thing I've tried--and has been very effective--is a TENS unit. Good luck...I get that CRAZY feeling too...like I'm gonna lose my mind if I don't get some relief...but if it's any consolation, I've found that the pain seems to wax and wane more now than it used to...so I do get some occasional relief. How long since your injury?

1 year

1 year
    I'm 17 months out...just a little longer than you. Like I said, Neurontin and Klonapine have been helpful for me, along with Zanaflex and Flexeril for muscle spasms. Having a TENS unit is also a great help for me.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    I was on it for awhile and it worked for me but I had to stop taking it because of side affects. (It always made me nauseous and allot of times I would break outwith a prickly rash) I wish I could still take it cuz it was working, but I went back to the Neurontin.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

How long have you been on pain medications and which ones? Maybe you might have to take a narcotic spring break for awhile. If you are taking them 24/7 your tolerance to the medication might be decreasing. Giving yourself a break, might just help. If they're not doing you any good right now then this might be a good idea. Just a suggestion, not that I know everything but I do know pain.
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer