Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanotechnology for Spinal Cord Injury

Nanotechnology for Spinal Cord Injury

Nanotechnology for Spinal Cord Injury
    A cure for spinal injuries that leave people paralyzed, currently incurable, is being developed by Researchers at Northwestern University in Chicago. They are looking into using new nanotechnology that could enable them to completely heal cut and severed spinal cords allowing the previously paralyzed to walk again.
    Spinal cord injury often leads to permanent paralysis and loss of sensation below the site of the injury due to damaged nerve fibers which can’t regenerate. These nerve fibers (axons) have the capacity to grow but don’t because they are blocked by scar tissue that have developed around the injury. Northwestern University researchers have shown that a new nano-engineered gel inhibits the formation of scar tissue at the injury site and enables the severed spinal cord fibers to regenerate and grow.
    The gel is injected as a liquid into the spinal cord and self -assembles into a scaffold that supports the new nerve fibers as they grow up and down the spinal cord, penetrating the site of the injury. When the gel was injected into mice with a spinal cord injury, after six weeks the animals had a greatly enhanced ability to use their hind legs and walk.
    http://www.scotlandsoracle.co.uk/con.../332/88888956/

Very, very encouraging and exciting angle!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    Very, very encouraging and exciting angle!
    Hope they will test it in humans soon

Smile

Sounds a bit like Neurogel to me, except undergoing trials involve combinations of the gel (Neurogel) + mesenchymal stem cells +EPO+ progesterone.

Max, I hope these trials show expected results and do lead to human trials soon!
    gretchen 1

Hi gretchen - I was hoping you would stop by! How about Neurogel, any human trials coming along?

So many people are so desperate to be cured of this horrific injury, why don't they just try this treatment in humans instead of rats, rats and more rats!!! All possible treatment for spinal cord injury has just been done in animals for years and years, that it why so many are seeking treatment in China and India because they are so sick of this reported research on rats, rats, and more rats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dodo View Post
    So many people are so desperate to be cured of this horrific injury, why don't they just try this treatment in humans instead of rats, rats and more rats!!! All possible treatment for spinal cord injury has just been done in animals for years and years, that it why so many are seeking treatment in China and India because they are so sick of this reported research on rats, rats, and more rats!!!
    hi dodo,

my guess is your question of why not us is more out of frustration?

A question for the real smart folks here. I spoke to a researcher and was told there is a big differance between the mouse and the rat.

apparently the mouse is much easier to treat, could you shed some light on the reasons?

tia
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

so was kevin everett a mice or a rat?
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

I can see it working for acute injuries, how about chronics? Years after.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivica Rod View Post
    so was kevin everett a mice or a rat?
    Kevin Everett was an incomplete.

f
    ight