Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked frame on my Ti-Lite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cracked frame on my Ti-Lite

I noticed a pretty severe crack in the frame of my 7 year old Ti-Lite. I went back to the place I purchased it from and I'll need to get a new frame from Ti-Lite. The first question they need to determine is if it's still under warranty since the crack ocurred at a weld. That's my hope so the evil insurance peeps don't have to get involved. I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait to get a new frame.

I think the major factors that will come into play will be: insurance, the vendor where I originally purchased the chair and how long it takes for them to coordinate, Ti-Lite and if they have the frame in inventory or if they have to manufacture a new one.

What I'd really like to know is how long did it take from the Ti-Lite perspective? The place where I bought the chair said 2 weeks if its in stock and 4 to 6 weeks or longer if the have to manufacture a new one.

Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by steveg; 11-20-2008 at 03:07 PM.

nothing is 'stock' at Tilite. frames are made to order, iirc.

I was under the impression that the TiLite frame was lifetime warranty. Mine cracked before and since it was bought via an online vendor, I just called up TiLite and they shipped another frame to me. I think it was a week or two to get it if I recall. Just call them direct with the serial number and bypass the middleman. I think the manager there is Mark?, contact him directly if you get the runaround of 'talk to your dealer'. TiLite will fix you up no problem.

You're covered!

TiLite Warranty

Warranty is good for the lifetime of the original user (though the expected life of the frame is 5 years).

Gents

Thanks for the good information on the lifetime warranty. I probably should have gone direct to Ti-Lite but needed a loaner. Unfortunately I donated 3 other chairs and kept the one backup that is in need of repairs.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Gents

Thanks for the good information on the lifetime warranty. I probably should have gone direct to Ti-Lite but needed a loaner. Unfortunately I donated 3 other chairs and kept the one backup that is in need of repairs.

Steve
    Which model Ti chair are you using? Which part of the frame cracked? Any clue as to how it happened?

Its a TRC and it cracked at the joint on the right hand side in the rear bottom of the chair. I don't know how it happened. A few days ago I noticed that I wasn't getting the support I'm used to when I lean back. I checked it out and noticed it right away. The crack is about the size of my crude drawing below (the vertical bars are not a crack but the end opening of the frame). I wonder if Ti-Lite will try to wiggle out of the warranty since my chair is 7 years old. I been in a chair 30 years and I've had a dozen chairs. This is by far the longest I've kept one and it's still in decent shape though I have been thinking about a new one. Insurance turned me down a year ago and I was going to go out of pocket.

Drawing did not turn out when I posted this. All the vertical bars should be to the further right.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    . . . I wonder if Ti-Lite will try to wiggle out of the warranty since my chair is 7 years old. . .
    It's the frame that's guaranteed for the lifetime of the original owner, not upholstery, caster wheels, etc. Therefore, if you're the original owner and you're still alive (and there appears to be good evidence of that!) then you've got a warrantable claim. The age of the chair is not material, according to TiLite's policy.

They've changed the style of the TRc, so it's possible if not certain that the replacement will not be identical to the one you have. Probably a good thing, too.

The money you were going to spend out-of-pocket for a new chair can go towards upgrading the other components.

Hey, is it still a lifetime warranty for the frame? Are there any other companies that offer that?