Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco products

Tobacco products

i was wondering how much of an effect on healing using chewing tobacco would have.... i know when you smoke the build up of tar in your lungs decreases the ability to absorb oxygen. so what does smokeless tobacco do to effect healing abilities?

i'm curious because i have a sore and want to know if i'm slowing down the healing process.

btw, after i reread everything above i realize just how ridiculous i sound...
    -C6 incomplete
    -injured January, 14th 2006 in roll-over

wondered this myself......

ha, figured i'd be the only one...
    -C6 incomplete

All tobacco products will cause small vascular to constrict and resist bloodflow to a sore and make it harder to heal. My doctor wouldn't do surgery on one of my sores until I quit smoking. In other words, any tobacco products are really bad for spinal cord injured person making sores easier to get. I'm sure the nurse will chime in with more.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Couldn't say it better than rybread did. Vasoconstriction coupled with the decreased ability to circulate the oxygen makes you more susceptible to pressure ulcers and much harder for them to heal. Don't use any tobacco, or if you are having trouble quitting, talk to your physician and see what they can recomend in your area for support.

CKF

I quit a 2 packet day cold turkey and I only used a patch for a week. It was rough, but I got through it. And if I could do it, anyone could
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Studies have shown that the nicotine in tobacco products, either smoked, chewed, or dipped, can cause significant vasoconstriction. One cigarette can vasoconstrict your skin for up to 8 hours. Vasoconstriction results in less nutrients and oxygen going to your tissues, and to less removal of waste products from the tissues that can actually further interfere with healing. Even nicotine patches will cause this effect (as will nicotine gum).

People with SCI who use tobacco products are 8X more likely to have pressure ulcers and to have poor healing. Like Rybread stated, we will not use a VAC or tissue matrix dressings, or do a flap on anyone who continues to use tobacco products, and require cessation of all use for at least 4 weeks prior to any flap surgery.

(KLD)

Great smoke out day includes chewing too. Quitting is tough and the one day at a time works too. I have quit today to, well so far anyway. Wish me luck and will power.
    T6 complete

Thanks for the reminder that today is the "Great American Smoke-Out"!! It is the best day to quit...today! Ask for help if you need it. It makes it easier.

(KLD)

i don't really need help in quiting. the best thing for me is for me to not be around people who dip...that makes it a lot easier. i have been dipping about once a day...it makes time go by since i've been in bed for 5 weeks straight. i'll do my best to quit. it's stupid anyways...the thing that makes it hard is when you have a routine...damn tobacco companies, they friggin' suck.
    -C6 incomplete